Help support TMP

"Dark Vengeance 40K box: Point values for Chaos?" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

3,727 hits since 25 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Acharnement26 Sep 2012 5:50 a.m. PST

The GW Dark Vengeance 40K box set has no point values for the Chaos forces and nothing official seems to be online. Rumors seems to indicate that people are expecting the new Chaos codex to include this essential information. I don't mean to gripe but I cannot believe the buyers of the box set cannot play games with the new figures beyond the starter scenarios included in the box.
Has anyone seen any points lists or at least an official statement or similar on this?
TIA!

Chris B Inactive Member26 Sep 2012 6:31 a.m. PST

I have seen scans of the new Chaos Space Marine book, everything in the Dark Vengeance box is accounted for. I don't know what the point values are, though.

Garand26 Sep 2012 7:31 a.m. PST

The only figures you cannot really use are the cultists in non-boxed set games. Lords, Sorcerers, Chosen, and Hellbrutes are all in the current codex (latter as Chaos Dreadnaughts). That being said, the new book drops 10-6-12 and should make everything "legal." Considering that is just a month from the boxed set launch isn't too bad…

Damon.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian26 Sep 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

Isn't the new codex supposed to be $50 USD retail?

Chris B Inactive Member26 Sep 2012 8:02 a.m. PST

Yep. Fifty bucks. It's hardcover, like the newer WHFB books.

Personal logo CorpCommander Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 8:19 a.m. PST

Cultists – the IG of Chaos!

billthecat Inactive Member26 Sep 2012 9:12 a.m. PST

Hardcover codexs?
Those will go nicely with the new (mandatory and tournament legal) Finecast gaming tables…

Mick A26 Sep 2012 9:19 a.m. PST

CorpCommander- don't expect the cultists to be chaos IG, thay are more armed militia…

Mick

Garand26 Sep 2012 9:32 a.m. PST

Aye. If you want Chaos IG, run an IG army with either CSM or Daemons as allies (don't have my book here, don't remember what "type" of allies IG can take…)

Damon.

Wolfprophet26 Sep 2012 10:32 a.m. PST

IG can't take CSM or Daemon allies at all. Which I think it completely ridiculous given the number of renegades….

Then again, FW has a renegades army list….

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 12:05 p.m. PST

Wolfprophet,
That's not correct. Per the table on page 113, IG can take CSM or Daemon allies. They aren't "Battle Brothers", but they are "Allies of Convenience" which has a couple of minor limitations.

I think alot of IG players who have made renegade forces will be adding a few Chaos units to their armies in the near future.

Acharnement,
Until the new Chaos codex comes out, your best bet is just to run them as an allied unit of Imperial Guard. It won't be exactly codex compliant without an IG HQ unit, but no one will gripe.

Alternatively, you could probably just use the stats from the gamebox and the points from the IG codex. Should be pretty representative.

Wolfprophet27 Sep 2012 1:37 a.m. PST

I've found Allies of Convenience can be more of a problem than a help. Tried it with a gunline army and all the allies did was clog up the lanes of fire, making the army less effective as a whole.

Aksakal27 Sep 2012 3:23 a.m. PST

Other forums put the chaos force at 500-600 and more for the dark angels. Chaos is quite outnumbered in the box, cultists are total fodder for trying to get the cc marines into something. There is so much plasma in the tactical squad alone that they can take down the hellbrute.

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 2:38 p.m. PST

The new CSM codex will also be digital.

dapeters28 Sep 2012 8:31 a.m. PST

You mean you can not play a game out of the box?

flintlocklaser28 Sep 2012 9:12 a.m. PST

No, as the OP says there are some initial scenarios in the box that you can play. It's just that there are no point values given for the new Chaos models, so until the new dex comes out next week you cannot run them in other, point-balanced lists.

My copy of the last edition's starter scenarios is in the attic I think – can anyone remember if they had point values too, or if they were also just a few preset scenarios?

The Archer03 Oct 2012 5:19 p.m. PST

Chaos force is about 550 points or so in the new book. About fifty to a hundred more using old point values for Chaos marines and Dread.

DA force based on old points is 700 or so. more if all Characters in play. This might change with the new DA book when it comes out.

Yes I have access to the new Chaos Dex.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.