Help support TMP

"Eylau demo game-the end is in sight" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Napoleonics Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

895 hits since 19 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Paint Pig19 Sep 2012 8:23 p.m. PST

There's not much more to add as far as construction of the terrain goes that hasn't already been covered in the previous posts. As you can see the Russian infantry divisions that we will be using are displayed as are the artillery batteries with cavalry yet to be placed.

After giving the creeks and lakes some thought we decided to mark them out on the foam with blue highlighters this wasn't really necessary but it gives the bridges some context and as with the roads the effect was very subtle.

On the days of the battle the troops on both sides were completely unaware of the watercourses due to the thick blanket of snow and of course the fact that they were frozen over it was only the bridges that gave any hint.

The Russian side should provide for five commands of which at least one will be reserved for the organisers to act as a rules guide for the participants.

I should have photo's of the French forces arrayed as well as the complete Russian army next week. To avoid the inevitable flood of pictures all the photo's of this build are available to view here link

Thanks for looking
regards
dave

Personal logo VonBlucher Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2012 8:51 p.m. PST

Dave,
Excellent!!

I think every Napoleonic gamer who enjoys gaming the "Glory Years" dreams of doing Eylau.

Best of luck with the game.

John

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP19 Sep 2012 10:46 p.m. PST

What brand of figures are the grenadiers?

You might consider scattering (or using paint) some dark grey or brown fine ballast across the table drape so break up the solid white. I know that it snowed a lot the night before, but some different colors peeking through the snow provides a realistic look.

Here are some pictures of my winter terrain for Leuthen, as an example:

picture

picture

picture

Ashenduke19 Sep 2012 10:56 p.m. PST

Impressive. Have enjoyed seeing the work in progress and all these pics, especially those Russian grenadiers.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP19 Sep 2012 10:56 p.m. PST

Buildings, roads and trees were made by Herb Gundt. The table mat is from The Terrain Guy in Texas in the States.

Paint Pig20 Sep 2012 2:33 a.m. PST

Thanks for your input Jim that is a nice layout, love the big battalions. grin

I was of the opinion that we could have painted some thin layers of paint under the material for tonal effect but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. The table is undergoing a trial set up at the moment and will be pulled apart for transport and re assembled when the finishing touches will be applied such as grass tufts along water course and some light scatter material. The fabric is pinned on via the trees on the playing surface and underneath when set up properly, otherwise is transported separately.

What brand of figures are the grenadiers?

Not sure Jim I will chase it up for you. BTW have been chatting with the guys and it looks like we may have an AWI project coming up next year thumbs up

regards
dave

Maxshadow Supporting Member of TMP20 Sep 2012 2:47 a.m. PST

Very nice! What rules are you going to use?

Marcus Maximus25 Sep 2012 12:49 p.m. PST

@Dave aka PaintPig Great set-up, beautiful figures and a man after my own heart on Eylau I've been punching and clipping counters for the La Bataille de Preussisch-Eylau boardgame by Clash of Arms.

Will you be providing us with an update and AAR?

And where did you get the Eylau battle map with forces marked on it photo#5?

Many thanks for sharing with us here.

Paint Pig25 Sep 2012 4:10 p.m. PST

The game is afoot…. this coming weekend 29-30th

aar will be forthcoming as will pictorial evidence grin

As for the map, I will let Geoff tell the story

Hi Dave,

The map was scanned from Scott Bowden's 'Napoleon Finest Davout's Journal of 3rd Corps' (deep pockets required):

link

and Dave (MM) enlarged the image using:

blockposters.com

The book has excellent maps of the major battles fought between 1805 and 1807. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Geoff

regards
dave

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.