Help support TMP

"Jungle for Vietnam" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Modern Discussion Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

1,004 hits since 18 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

alan lockhart18 Sep 2012 3:00 p.m. PST

I am looking for some "cheep and cheerful" trees to pass as jungle for 28mm games and was thinking of some of the model railway trees that ship from China. It is the like of auction that I am thinking of.

I already have various plastic plants from aquarium supplies which will do for low vegetation and it is really taller trees that I am looking for.

I do not have time (or ability) to start scatch building and really don't want to spend a fortune in trying to cover a 6x4 table.

Any suggestions for suitable trees available on e-bay would be appreciated.

Alan

VCarter18 Sep 2012 3:09 p.m. PST

Cake decorating shop. Palm trees in two sizes at a real low price. They don't have bases, however, what I have done is use a combination of melting and hot glue to attach the trees to fender washers.

Vince

Muncehead18 Sep 2012 3:15 p.m. PST

link

Their palm trees are worth a look.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Supporting Member of TMP18 Sep 2012 4:35 p.m. PST

Mind you most of Vietnam's jungle canopy is deciduous, not palm trees. Those palms do work but you need to dull them (they are shiny plastic) and maybe dry brush them so they don't look quite so "toyish."

HistoryPhD18 Sep 2012 5:07 p.m. PST

Having been stationed in SE Asia, I'll say that palm trees are never in the jungle, apart from right along rivers. Otherwise, there are coconut plantations and plenty in the tree line set back from the beach. Also, they're frequent in the towns. But the actual "jungle", no palm trees

VCarter18 Sep 2012 5:44 p.m. PST

Palm trees like the trusty old rice paddy hat are seen more in the movies and gaming table then in real life. That said, when people see them it sets the mood.

Same reason my 24th foot for the Zulu war has white helmets.

Vince

Pedrobear Supporting Member of TMP18 Sep 2012 11:49 p.m. PST

But bear in mind that most of the jungles seen in Vietnam movies are actually jungles in Thailand or the Phillipines. :)

From a practical point of view, if the whole table in actually "inside" the jungle, it may be costly to represent every tree. I think a board of brown "leaf litter" with dead logs and rather generous undergrowth may be more evocative and frustrating than having to constantly shift to reposition fallen trees.

alan lockhart19 Sep 2012 8:10 a.m. PST

Thanks for all the replies.

Perhaps I should have made it more clear that it is jungle trees I am looking for, rather than palm tress (of which I have quite a lot!).

I have ordered up a sample of trees from China to see what they are like.

freewargamesrules19 Sep 2012 1:26 p.m. PST

You can also use some of the aquarium grass mats too.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.