Help support TMP

"War Plan: Crimson by Fiery Dragon as a campaign system" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Russian Civil War Message Board

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

596 hits since 16 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tgunner16 Sep 2012 5:51 p.m. PST

Hi all,

Some weeks ago a fellow TMPer suggested this game by Fiery Dragon as a possible campaign engine for my WP:R games:

link

I just got my copy on Friday and I have to say.. it looks like a winner to me. It's a small game- two game maps that are a bit bigger than 8 1/2 by 11 sheets and less than 200 counters. The hexes are roughly 3 miles and cover two principal theaters: Halifax and Montreal and the units are battalions and brigade/regiments.

The rules seem simple enough with the basic attack/defense values going to ratios and rolls against a CRT for step losses and other effects. One interesting twist is the Blood Bath Exchange (BBX) where both sides lose units in an exchange that goes back and forth until either one side gives up and retreats/calls off the attack or until one side is destroyed. An interesting take on attritional battles indeed!

My only "complaint" is that the game is pretty limited in scope. Granted, it's a micro game and all, but it "only" covers actions and Nova Scotia and around New York/Montreal. The rest of Canada and other battlezones are just left out. Another minor quibble is that the units are generic. There are no named units… just generic battalions and brigades/regiments. That's a good thing in one way in that I get to use whatever units I want. But I was hoping for a decent order of battle to help me along with my fluff. Oh well.

Anyway, I see this as a pretty nice tool to set-up battles to play out on the table top. And with the battalion being the basic unit it should be pretty easy to set-up scenario orders of battle and the map gives me a decent idea for what terrain to model on the board.

Another cool thing- FD has out several other games in this series covering the Greco-Turk and Russo-Polish Wars. There is even a hypothetical game called Freikorps which covers a red invasion of Germany… hard on the heels of a victory over Poland. I can see myself collecting miniatures for this conflict after I'm done with War Plan: Red.

I've got to say, I wasn't much on the whole Interwar thing until my War Plan: Red project. But after doing all this research I have to admit, this is a really cool period! I'm really starting to see the appeal of it. Cool, and many times wierd, AFVs, oddball forces, and a cool mix of late WWI and early WWII units and gear. I'm really starting to like it! At the rate I'm going I might not ever buy another WWII figure!

Cool stuff guys!

Prince Alberts Revenge17 Sep 2012 7:14 a.m. PST

I plan on picking this one up too. The idea of US and Canadian/British battling it out on the Northern Border in the 20s/30s seems pretty cool to me.

I also own the games for the Soviet invasion of Germany (Freikorp) and the Fenian Invasion of Canada (guess I really want to take on the Canucks). Never played them but like the compact game in a box concept.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP17 Sep 2012 7:38 a.m. PST

Fiery Dragon, and it's kind-of predecessor (Microgames Co-Op) had some really cool stuff. The SCW one is good too. They also had one of the biblical Armageddon, set in the near-future.

Tgunner17 Sep 2012 8:20 a.m. PST

Hey Revenge, are there British and French forces in Freikorp too? The game mentions a "White" player but I kind of assume that this is mainly German anti-communist forces.

I'm thinking of a similar project for next year using Freikorp, assuming that War Plan Red works well that is. I have a bunch of 10mm WWI miniatures and 1919-1920 is almost spot on for them. I wonder if anyone does decent miniatures for the Reds and Poles in 10mm?

Anyway I ordered my Freikorp game last night and I'm really curious about it! But I do have to remind myself… just one project at a time!!!!!

Prince Alberts Revenge17 Sep 2012 8:30 a.m. PST

Tgunner: I picked up the game figurung it would be a good resource for my 15mm project for the Spartacist/Freikorps clashes as well as Russo-Polish battles. As I recall from my spotty memory, there are French, British and some Polish forces for the Whites. They may even have provisions for US, if memory serves me right.

As for 10mm, Pendraken have a small "Red" range. You could probably use some of the French as Haller's "Blue Army"…

Tgunner17 Sep 2012 8:56 a.m. PST

I would prefer to do 15mm myself, but sometime ago I got a great deal on some Pendraken 10mm WWI figures. So if I do this Freikorps project then I'm probably going to do it in 10mm since I already have the figures- I have a nice collection of US, British, and Germans that is. So I would "only" need to collect the "Reds" with maybe a smattering of others to round things out…. depending on what Freikorps requires.

Hey Revenge, what system are you using for your miniatures games? I'm using A World Aflame but that game doesn't seem right for 10mm. When I do my 10mm I'm going to group base them and probably use Great War Spearhead.. maybe version II if it comes out by next year.

Prince Alberts Revenge17 Sep 2012 10:17 a.m. PST

Good question! I had planned on using an AK-47 Republic variant for my 15mm interwar conflicts (I have Chinese Warlord armies, German Freikorps and Spartakists, Reds and Poles…none of them fully painted yet). AK-47 is good at replicating 3rd World combat. The basic mechanics of the rules can be used for things other than Post-WW2 Africa in my opinion. I also like the use of political flow charts for this period. I own A World Aflame, looks good. I have 20mm RCW (Yudenich's NW Army versus Reds) that I plan to use with that set of rules.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP17 Sep 2012 1:49 p.m. PST

Wow Tgunner, looks like things are moving right along with your project. I agree with you, the pre-war era is loads of fun. I just love the planes and tanks, just beautiful!
Good luck on continued progress, and keep us all posted on how itīs going!

Tgunner17 Sep 2012 1:57 p.m. PST

I wish that was true Jack.

I just now got my British troops and I have a ton of painting to do! I have two BEF rifle platoons, 1 Vickers MG platoon, one company HQ pack, two Matilda Is and two Matilda IIs. That's roughly a brigade (-) in A World Aflame or Brigadier '38 with some tank support. I also still have another US rifle platoon to paint along with two more squads of cavalry, both mounted and dismounted, left to take care of too.

But yeah, I'm chugging right along. I'm hoping, against hope, that I'll have enough together for Fall In but it's looking doubtful. Cold Wars is probably the better bet. I'm hoping that WP:C will give me some scenario ideas to try out before it's game time.

But it has been loads of fun and I'm going to have some really cool toys when everything is said and done.

Tgunner17 Sep 2012 2:02 p.m. PST

Good question! I had planned on using an AK-47 Republic variant for my 15mm interwar conflicts"

Oddly enough that is Brian's first choice too! I emailed him yesterday and told him what I'm up to and he mentioned that he's a miniatures player too.

AK 47 for this period… I wish I had a copy of those rules. I bid on a set on Ebay and just didn't want to shell out the $30 USD to get them. Oh well, I'll keep trolling and see what comes up.

Anyway, it should be a hoot. I'm really curious to see how my GIs and their M2/M3 lights do against my BEF boys and their dreaded Matildas. It may be my French '75s that save the day as I have a rough time seeing my 37mm pop guns doing much against a Matilda. Heck, that might explain why my later US forces have the M3 Halftracks with the 75mms aka SPMs.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP17 Sep 2012 2:36 p.m. PST

Yeah, youīre going to have to take a can opener to those Matilda IIīs, cause there ainīt nothing but a German 88 that will crack īem. Fortunately they donīt pack much punch either, but it will be interesting to see how the boys will stop them.

Tgunner17 Sep 2012 4:17 p.m. PST

Yeah, the Matildas are going to be a killer. I can see them becoming the Tigers of Anglo-American War.

I did a little research and gave them Defense Value (in A World Aflame) of 21, which is 3 points higher than any tank defense value given in the book. That means that a US 37mm only has a 30% chance of doing damage at close range. The farther away the Matilda is the less the chance becomes. That's probably not completely accurate but it does give the Americans a ghost of a chance of hurting the things. Odds are that the US guns will just bounce off the Matilda while the British tank pounds them in return with its 2pdr gun. The best US tanks (the M2 Medium and the M3 Light) both have Defense Values of 17… at 21-31" the 2pdr only needs a 5 on a D10 to hurt them whereas the US tanks need a 9 or 10 to hurt the Matilda II at the same range. Ouch!

The US is in trouble until M3 SPM, the M3/M4 Mediums, and the M10 TD show up!

freddy326 Inactive Member10 Oct 2012 3:05 a.m. PST

I play RCW and am just moving into doing 1919-1920 Baltic states and Russo Polish using 10mm Pendraken figures.

For rules, have you had a look at Red Actions! by The Perfect Captain? They are designed for company level games but work well up to regiment size.

Tgunner13 Nov 2012 10:39 a.m. PST

I've looked at them and they look pretty cool. How does it play?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.