Help support TMP

"What rules for 6mm Modern battles?" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2008) Message Board

Action Log

07 Apr 2018 3:09 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from TMP Poll Suggestions board

Areas of Interest

Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Profile Article

Those Blasted Trees

How do you depict "shattered forest" on the tabletop?

1,928 hits since 23 Aug 2012
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP24 Aug 2012 1:38 p.m. PST

What rules are you using for Modern micro scale battles?

Yankees Supporting Member of TMP24 Aug 2012 1:43 p.m. PST

Spearhead modern

lkmjbc324 Aug 2012 2:17 p.m. PST

If want large scale engagements…Nato vs Warpact or fight large battles (the entire southern Golan- from El Al to Tel Saki)then Modern Spearhead cannot be beat.

If you want to do smaller battles, say battalion vs battalion or regiment, I would suggest CD4 (which has a modern version in play test- downloadable from the website) or Fistful of Tows3. Both are excellent.

If you want smaller engagement, then you are beyond my experience. I do like reading WRG's Modern Rules. The 2 games I played were quite nice, though the rule set is daunting at first glance. I however prefer larger engagements where a stand = a platoon.

I hope this helps.

Joe Collins

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP24 Aug 2012 2:24 p.m. PST

The one thing I coouldnt get into with Modern Spearhead was the written orders.

MajorB24 Aug 2012 2:36 p.m. PST

NATO Brigade Commander

jekinder624 Aug 2012 2:42 p.m. PST

I am currently painting a T-64 regiment to use with "Command Decision: Test of Battle" and Bob Mackenzie's modern rules.
link

John Leahy24 Aug 2012 2:52 p.m. PST

World at War is what I am looking at now. A boardgame that folks have easily converted to a miniature game.

The rules are a download on the right side of the page.

link

I have a file of the unit stats if you're interested. Otherwise, scans of the counters can be found at Boardgamegeek.

Thanks,

John

Charlie 1224 Aug 2012 6:04 p.m. PST

FFT 3 (Fist Full of Tows). Funny name, great rules. Good for BN up to Bde battles.

Sudwind24 Aug 2012 8:37 p.m. PST

Yep….the World at War series of games from Lock 'n Load work well when converted to minis! I use the 4" terrain maker hexes from GHQ and micro armor. The games have been well received at the club. Their WW2 White Star Rising game uses a similar system……and Desert Heat is coming out soon.

The Wargames Room24 Aug 2012 10:41 p.m. PST

I tend to play reinforced brigade actions and above. I find Modern Spearhead is excellent for this sized game.

Unlike Uesugi Kenshin, I find the planning and resource allocation is an excellent part of the game. Orders are simple, and once you have allocated resources orders are as simple as drawing a command arrow for each battalion.

Yesthatphil25 Aug 2012 1:02 a.m. PST

I don't use 6mm or 'micro' for my modern games – but as rules are not scale specific, that's not a problem.

The advantage of the smaller scale would be the ability to get more logistic tail onto the table.

MWright25 Aug 2012 1:38 a.m. PST

FFT3

alan L25 Aug 2012 4:34 a.m. PST

Cold War Commander?

Adrian Jarvis25 Aug 2012 4:25 p.m. PST

Cold War Commander for me too

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2012 5:07 p.m. PST

Im surprised not many new suggestions. Has there been nothing released in the last 6-12 months?

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2012 10:39 p.m. PST

Has anyone read or tried GHQ's beer & pretzel micro rules?

UnfortunateWound25 Aug 2012 10:43 p.m. PST

Well, they aren't all that new, but I play Charlie Don't Surf, Modern Crossfire, Force on Force and FUBAR with my micro-scale moderns. The first two are company sized, the second two platoon sized.

Gennorm26 Aug 2012 2:22 a.m. PST

New doesn't necessarily mean good. For battalion-level games the tried and tested Battlegroup Modern Rules are free to download with supporting docs at

uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/BGMR

There are regular updates and an active group of players.

(Jake Collins of NZ 2)26 Aug 2012 12:00 p.m. PST

I'm fairly sure nothing new has been released in the last 6-12 months. FFT3 was the last big new release I can remember. No chance of a new Modern Spearhead. Some chance of a new Cold War Commander in the near future, though.
FoF keeps releasing scenario books.

JJMicromegas28 Aug 2012 11:40 a.m. PST

I think there is a real lack of modern rules for 6mm games, I have a feeling that if someone were to come along and produce a nicely polished and fun ruleset it would do quite well. I heard a rumour that toofatlardies are working on a set.

Altius28 Aug 2012 12:13 p.m. PST

Still clinging to CWC as my rules of choice, though I haven't played a game in a few months.

UnfortunateWound29 Aug 2012 3:28 a.m. PST

"I Ain't Been Nuked, Mum" is indeed in the pipe, and should be out by Easter. Which Easter is still classified.

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2012 9:51 a.m. PST

""I Ain't Been Nuked, Mum" is indeed in the pipe, and should be out by Easter. Which Easter is still classified."

Lol, good news indeed!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.