Help support TMP

"The Battle of Clontarf" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Battle Reports Message Board

716 hits since 9 Aug 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Terry37 Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 4:57 p.m. PST

I have just posted a photo report of the Battle of Clontarf using HotT that was fought between Paul Potter and myself last Saturday at Wargames in Nashville. You can read the report here

link

Hope you enjoy it,

Terry

Terry37 Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 5:01 p.m. PST

If the link in my previous post doesn't work, this one might be better.

link

Terry

Yesthatphil10 Aug 2012 1:51 a.m. PST

Stirring stuff, Terry …

Not sure about the wolves … (do they play a part at Clontarf?) .. but a nice series of pictures and an inspiring tale

Phil

Terry37 Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 5:35 a.m. PST

Phil, thanks for the kind words – it was a fun game and one we'd been talking about for awhile. Re the wolves, I am not sure if you are referring to Paul's Demon Dog or my Brotherhood of the Wolf, but we played it based on the scenario found on the old Stronghold, now, Meade Hall site written by John Garvey.

The army lists allow for a Lurker for the Irish, so Paul chose a Demon Dog, and my army list allowed for a Beast element so I went with the Brotherhood of the Wolf. That element is actually my Berserker element, but being HotT I decided to have it be lead by a werewolf (I have to give Paul credit for it though as he mentioned it during one of our Arthurian games and my being a werewolf fan I had to have one – it is my favorite element. I think the werewolf figure is one of the Blue Moon werewolf figures).

We actually created our forces from our Arthurian HotT armies, and it worked fine for letting us play the game. Were I to truly focus on the battle I would paint up appropriate Vikings instead of using Sub-Roman Spears. However, some of my Blade units were Vikings indeed from my Mordred army, which is based on the movie Prince Valiant with James Mason as the Black Knight

Terry

platypus01au10 Aug 2012 6:01 a.m. PST

It's not supposed to be strictly historic, but in the spirit of the myths and sagas about the battle. HOTT is like that!

Cheers,
JohnG

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 6:26 a.m. PST

Fine report Terry! I very much enjoyed it!

Personal logo rampantlion Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 7:39 a.m. PST

Very good report, carefull not to rub it in too hard on poor Paul, he is a big fella, and dangerous!

Guthroth11 Aug 2012 9:48 a.m. PST

Interesting and fun. I expect the pubs will play a big part when we go over there in 18 months time to re-enact the battle on the 1000th anniversary.

Easter Sunday 2014, mark it in your diary …

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.