Help support TMP

"Sino-French Naval War 1884-85" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

765 hits since 8 Aug 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2012 9:10 p.m. PST

Of possible interest

link

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

Berlichtingen08 Aug 2012 10:37 p.m. PST

Thanks for the link. It's not a conflict that I've ever considered, but his Russo-Japanese books are very fine volumns

Prince Alberts Revenge09 Aug 2012 4:45 a.m. PST

Saw this on Amazon. Looks promising. As far as gaming, not sure who makes the ships and not sure how competitive the battles would be (land campaign might be different).

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 9:32 a.m. PST

I was thinking of picking up this one too. As for gaming it, if the Chinese can get lucky with their Rendel gunboats things could get interesting. And Navwar just happens to sell a Foochow Chinese fleet pack. Hmmmmm… :)

ChargeSir09 Aug 2012 10:49 a.m. PST

Order made to Amazon, now to sit by letterbox waiting. Thanks for the heads up

Prince Alberts Revenge09 Aug 2012 10:50 a.m. PST

Texas Jack: The Chinese fleet is well represented, but I can't seem to find the French vessels present for Navwar. Disappointing that only one side fo the battle was ever completed…

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 12:22 p.m. PST

Wow, you are right about that! It never occurred to me that Navwar wouldn´t have the Frenchies. I wonder what Tony has in the French "Warships in Transition" fleet pack.
The only other time I couldn´t find what I wanted was with the Spanish fleet from the Span-Am war. He has the major vessels but the smaller ones not.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 12:28 p.m. PST

Happy you had enjoy it boys!!

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 12:45 p.m. PST

Thanks Armand, your post could lead to some interesting things…

Prince Alberts Revenge09 Aug 2012 12:47 p.m. PST

I know, kind of a bummer. I was looking through the old messgaes (search "foochow") and realized I had searched for the very same French fleet years ago. WTJ doen't have any early French ships either. Oh well.

Thanks Armand!

Cordialement
PAR

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2012 10:10 p.m. PST

Glad you had enjoy it my friends!.

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 3:20 a.m. PST

@ PAR
I´ve been thinking about this, and I wonder if it might be possible to find some similar looking ships of that era and kind of fudge it. I think the French ships present were not so, uh, original in design as later vessels.
The downside, aside from not having the real thing, would be doing the research of trying to find a good match. Time to dig out the Conways!

Prince Alberts Revenge10 Aug 2012 5:07 a.m. PST

Texas Jack: Keep me posted on your findings, I'm much interested!

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 10:42 a.m. PST

Ugh, another project!

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 12:00 p.m. PST

Sorry for that!. (big smile).

Amicalement
Armand

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian10 Aug 2012 10:02 p.m. PST

THANK YOU ARMAND!!! I have been devouring anything I've been able to get on this neglected conflict, and this looks like it will fill in some big blanks for me quite nicely!evil grin

Went straight to Amazon and pounced on this one like a starving Kzinti on an open sushi bar…evil grin

Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
metal-express.net

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 10:48 p.m. PST

So happy it was useful for you my friend!. (big smile).

Amicalement
Armand

ChargeSir19 Aug 2012 4:27 a.m. PST

Got my copy on Friday, brilliant book, now how to game it…maybe a committee game with all the players being Chinese

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP19 Aug 2012 11:17 a.m. PST

I think the Rendels are the key, they´re the only thing the Chinese have that can put a hole in something. Unfortunately their rate of fire is something like once a week and twice on Sundays.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.