Help support TMP

"Somme 1916 From a German Perspective" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

635 hits since 13 May 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

CAG 19 Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2012 4:28 a.m. PST

Part of my agreement to go shopping with DCOS was that I could go into as many book shops as she did soft furnishing shops.

I lucked out and ended up with two Somme 1916 books. The one with the colour photos is a birthday present which I wont see until June but was produced in conjunction with the IWM and from my look through had lots of full trench maps and situation reports. More to follow on that one later.

The other book (the interesting one) is by Duffy and is a look at the Somme battles from the German perspecive again with a fair number of maps but in Black and white but supported with narrative taken from German sources. Putting aside the catastrophe of the first day the rest of the battle appears to have nearly succeeded on several occasions in achieving the breakthrough.

The book is broken into a number of sections covering racial characteristics (The German view on Empire performance is interesting especially the characteristics of Canadian and Australian forces which aren't flattering in CERTAIN cases)
Weapons
Tactics
Officers and Leadership
Plus others
From my limited reading and knowledge there were a couple of myth busters in there; RFC performance, Artillery capability to name a couple

Final section of the book goes on to indicate that at the end of the battle they drew some conclusions one of which indicated to the Germans that the war was only going one way with them on the losing side if they couldn't match the Allies in Technology.

Excellent reading, in context, which I will be able to apply to the next book in June.

Si

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2012 4:57 a.m. PST

What is DCOS and IWM?

MajorB14 May 2012 5:04 a.m. PST

IWM = Imperial War Museum.

ComradeCommissar14 May 2012 7:04 a.m. PST

DCOS = Deputy Chief of Staff??

CAG 19 Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2012 1:21 p.m. PST

Domestic Chief of Staff, Long Haired General: The wife
Margard is spot on with the Imperial War Museum

ISBNs for those interested: 978-0-7538-2202-9 (Through German Eyes The British & The Somme 1916 first published 2006)

The 978-1-84901-719-0 (The Somme, Unseen Panoramas published 2011)

hagenthedwarf16 May 2012 3:13 p.m. PST

ISBNs for those interested: 978-0-7538-2202-9 (Through German Eyes The British & The Somme 1916 first published 2006)

A very interesting read.

rsutton18 May 2012 9:50 p.m. PST

Try Jack Sheldon's 'The German Army on the Somme 1916".. again using German archives… superb!!

Kind regards
Robin

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.