Help support TMP

"I gave in (IABSM)" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the WWII Rules Message Board

1,433 hits since 30 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

delete account Inactive Member30 Apr 2012 4:00 p.m. PST

Ok, I gave in. I bought the rules today.

I must say that I have made a huge effort to overcome the nonsensical title.

A few question to the good people in the know:

a) when are the Bulge and Eastern front supplements being released?

b)Does the book "Battle for Liberation" contain scenarios?

c)Are there scenarios sources for the Bulge that you recommend besides books of course (I have checked RAPID FIRE! but it seems over-scaled, possibly Critical Hit's ATS supplement "the Bulge" or some ASL scenarios)

thanks! :-)

CPT Jake Inactive Member30 Apr 2012 4:12 p.m. PST

Make sure you join the TFL Yahoo group if you have not already done so. The great group of guys there will surely help you out.

Dynaman878930 Apr 2012 6:20 p.m. PST

A – Battle for Liberation contains all you need equipment and unit makeup wise for the bulge. Eastern front, when it is done… (TFL goes on the whims of the owner, but he is putting in a large effort to get the rest of it out)

B – No. There are some scenarios (12 I think) available on the TFL yahoo group for free. There are also a few scenario PDFs available from TFL. Although written for IABSM2 they will work fine (with some slight modifications) for IABSM3. The mailing list crew would be happy to help you out with the needed changes (most of which are written up in 2 to 4 page online doc, seems like a lot of pages but a lot of it is in depth discussion of what needs done, actual work for each scenario is very minimal and could be done at the game table)

C – I use ASL scenarios, the translate over very well. Any boardgame or miniatures game at the company level should be fairly easy to use as a scenario source.

And yes, join the yahoo TFL group, not only will you learn all you need about IABSM there you will also learn all about football, curry, and a host of other topics…

Personal logo vtsaogames Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2012 7:52 p.m. PST

And if you are a Yank, joining the group will be a basic course in Brit slang. You'll be gobsmacked.

kiltboy30 Apr 2012 8:44 p.m. PST

I would second joining the yahoo group. It has best been described as a club so you will find strange threads about unrelated topics but plenty of people will jump in with answers if you have questions.
The fules section of the group has an excel sheet which lists tge content of the specials and there are plenty of scenarios in there.

I like the title myself as it sums up the major concern of the poor sod at the sharp end.

David

dmebust Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2012 10:51 p.m. PST

Welcome aboard. One more vote for Yahoo group. Good stuff in the files section. The randomness of the game mechanics makes for some interesting and at times frustrating play, we sure enjoy them! As noted above they are written by an Englishman so have your English to American phrase book handy.

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2012 11:04 p.m. PST

I'm guessing that you are not British. The title makes perfect sense to us being a pun on a long running TV show from the 70s!

Dynaman878901 May 2012 4:31 a.m. PST

> As noted above they are written by an Englishman so have your English to American phrase book handy.

Don't worry, we Muricans had a hand in the proofing of this latest edition. So many (not all, but most) of those oddities between the two languages (English and English…) have been weeded out.

delete account Inactive Member01 May 2012 5:53 a.m. PST

ok. besides the language barrier, I found the forum very friendly. Finding information is a bit difficult though as different topics interact constantly through messages mixing several different rules and periods.

I'm very interested in the random activation of the platoons and the use of dice to dertermine the actual movement. I'm impatient to receive my rulebook and start a few games. I'll try first -the horror- to run a few classic FOW scenarios to see how they works with IABSM.

Are there any indications on how to determine the number and quantity of big men per side?

Dynaman878901 May 2012 6:33 a.m. PST

> Are there any indications on how to determine the number and quantity of big men per side?

The rules and the Battle for Liberation PDF give guidelines. A basic rule of thumb would be 1 BM for each platoon, and a BM or two for the company. Excellently led companies or platoons will have a higher level BM or an extra one. Poorly led platoons can omit them or lower the quality level.

Personal logo J Womack 94 Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2012 3:14 p.m. PST

may as well call it "They Don't Like It Up 'Em!"

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2012 6:13 p.m. PST

JW94,
Sorry, but that's the title of the colonial rules set that appeared in one of the TFL Specials.
BWW

John Thomas8 Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2012 9:00 p.m. PST

I'm having a ball with IABSM with the hand full of figures I have painted now.

I've played:

Marines vs Japanese
Brit paras vs German paras
Russians vs Germans
US Infantry vs Germans

All solo, but none of the games were decided before the dice start rolling.

Karl 72 Inactive Member05 May 2012 1:46 p.m. PST

If you get the rules book there are some scenarios in the back which are great to start off with to get familiar with the rules.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.