Help support TMP

"This is sure to start an argument, err discussion." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Historical Media Message Board

964 hits since 12 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2012 6:34 a.m. PST

Ran accross this from the history link on RealClearPolitics.com, Interesting article and sure to PO all the Nappy fanboys. link

Dave
And this will only add to my stifle count

korsun0 Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Apr 2012 7:10 a.m. PST

Yeah, you gone…..

Shagnasty13 Apr 2012 7:24 a.m. PST

At least they got # 1 right.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2012 7:31 a.m. PST

I would say that half of the list should not be considered "wariors", but "commanders".
Big difference.

just visiting Inactive Member13 Apr 2012 7:38 a.m. PST

Yes, stupid list. WARRIOR-generals, now, that is a different list, but not altogether. Mine is:

10. Robert E. Lee
9. Richard the Lionheart
8. Frederick Barbarossa
7. Alfred the Great
6. Henry II Plantagenet
5. Napoleon Bonaparte
4. William the Conqueror
3. Genghis Khan
2. Alexander the Great
1. Hannibal Barca

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2012 1:51 p.m. PST

Caesar, Hannibal and Sun Tzu were commanders, not warriors

Plus – Sun Tzu is probably more than one person!

kreoseus213 Apr 2012 2:19 p.m. PST

But Hannibal and Caesar did fight hand-to-hand at least once each with their troops.

Phil

just visiting Inactive Member13 Apr 2012 2:45 p.m. PST

I didn't include Caesar in my list of "ten greatest" because I think he's overrated; he is famous because he wrote his own history. "I am Rome's greatest general, because I said so."

When the enemy says you are the greatest, then it has to be true; thus my inclusion of Bobby Lee. Whether or not he shot his firearms in anger during the ACW I have no idea; but he sure was an active soldier in his younger days….

brucka13 Apr 2012 3:12 p.m. PST

Pretty good list I think. Robert the Bruce did a number on de Bohun. Was very active on the tournament scene too! Would list him.

Sparker13 Apr 2012 4:01 p.m. PST

Well I'm a 'Nappy Fan Boy' and I'm not all 'PO'd' by this article – if you want to compare the warrior-like qualities of individual swordsman, army Lieutenants, and heads of empires in the same list, go right ahead!

vojvoda Inactive Member13 Apr 2012 4:04 p.m. PST

Audie Murphy gets a bad rap. His service is text book and an inspiration to generations to American Soldiers.
VR
James Mattes

Marcus Maximus19 Apr 2012 10:49 p.m. PST

Did you see the pictures at the bottom of that link especially the one "Things Women should do more often…" whatever could they mean…Apologies but I was distracted…

Debate still on who was Sun Tzu. Missing are such leaders as An LuShan (considered one of the greatest of all China's Generals), Epaminondas, Attila, Genghis, William I ("The Conqueror"), and many more who could easily be in the top ten.

This list is a silly list and created to cause more tension than what its worth…..

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.