Help support TMP

"Score!!! BPB 71' 6" MGB's with Torpedoes Photos!!!" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Naval Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Media Message Board

Back to the WWII Naval Gallery Message Board

794 hits since 1 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mako1101 Apr 2012 7:04 p.m. PST

Ran across this great tribute site, for Roderick Timms, while doing a bit of surfing. It has tons of pics of the 71'6" BPB Mk V MGBs (the ones with the long, streamlined cockpit), after they were retrofitted WITH torpedoes, and renumbered and redesignated as MTBs. There were mentions of these in the books I've read, but most accounts were not quite clear on if/when they actually received torpedoes, near the end of the war.

This site, definitely confirms that, and provides lots of pics of the 35th Flotilla's boats, in action:

link

Make sure to click on the tabs in the left margin, since there are three sets of photos there.

From the accounts on the site, it appears the 35th Flotilla received their torpedo tubes sometime between March of 1944, and before D-Day. Exact dates aren't provided. They were also upgunned with a 6 Pdr. on the foredeck, which apparently was quite effective against S-Boats.

There are lots of pics of the BPB 71'6" Mk VI MTBs with the short, MTB style bridge/cockpits shown with torpedoes, but the long cockpit model (Mk V) photos with torps are a bit rare.

I'd post some of the pics here, but they just pop up when you click on them, so I can't get the direct links, unfortunately. Still, definitely worth a look, if you like British MGBs and MTBs.

Based upon the pics, if you want to do a little modeling of them, the following are shown with torpedoes on deck, in the photos:

MTBs 449 454 (just to be clear MTBs 447 454 are the Mk V BPB boats)

MTB 447 is shown in one image, but I don't see any torpedo tubes on deck (perhaps the photo is before her retrofit).

MTB 448 was not photographed, before she was sunk.

MTBs 478, 481, and 490 are all Mk VI models, with the shorter bridge cockpit (MTB style).

MTB 482, it is interesting to note, has a very large radar dustbin mounted on it, and is a MK VI model as well. Apparently, it was fitted with the Type 970 radar (fitted in Dec. 1944), that had a PPI display.

ptdockyard Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Apr 2012 3:16 p.m. PST

Hmm, looks like another configuration to add to the Dockyard line. You keep pushing me back to the 1/600s…..:)

Good work Robert! Now you know the pleasure of having a long, relentless research project bear fruit! I posted your find on Al Ross's Coastal Forces Yahoo group giving you credit on this one.

Dave G
The PT Dockyard
Http://www.ptdockyard.com

ptdockyard Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Apr 2012 3:21 p.m. PST

In Photo Collection 3 there is MTB 453 which looks like she has a tube mount (tube removed) but is a MkV

Mako1102 Apr 2012 7:14 p.m. PST

Thanks Dave.

Yep, I saw that too. Not sure if the tube was removed, or is in the process of having it added, eventually.

Now, I just need to convince you to produce the BPB MGB, and BPB MTBs, along with a narrow, early Vosper (like MTB 34) in 1/300th scale, to go with/fight against the Heroics and Ros boats in that size.

They're such beautiful boats that they would look really impressive in the larger scale.

Lion in the Stars03 Apr 2012 5:38 a.m. PST

picture

Dang, that's loaded for bear, if not dreadnought!

Mako1103 Apr 2012 10:00 a.m. PST

Yep, 6 Pdr. on the bow, upgraded from the 40mm pom-pom, or 20mms they used to carry.

Twin 20mms aft, plus another single 20mm in some cases (or 2 x stands for twin MGs instead).

18" torpedoes for those encounters with heavy vessels – certainly much more effective than the 2 x depth charges previously in their place, and a lot safer than having to cruise up underneath the bow of the enemy vessel to place them.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.