Help support TMP

"15mm Mechs" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

721 hits since 30 Mar 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Samulus30 Mar 2012 3:02 p.m. PST

I'm just trying to work out whats available and I'm aware of Rebel Minis, CMG, GZG, Art Crime production, Micropanzer and Khurasan. Does anyone else make mechs in 15mm scale?

Also, can anyone think of models from other ranges e.g. 28s which would make good mechs? e.g. GW Tau stealthsuit.

(This is posted in the general discussion rather than 15mm specifically because I hope to pick the brains of those who collect other scales).

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Mar 2012 3:09 p.m. PST

I use the clicky Battletech Mechs. Pop em off their base, flock and away you go. They can often be found for a buck or two.

Thanks,

John

Little Big Wars Inactive Member30 Mar 2012 4:40 p.m. PST

Well if these guys ever get made I think they'll make some nice sci-fantasy mechs:

link

Personal logo Grumpy Monkey Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2012 4:49 p.m. PST

I think that the Gruntz team has one or two that are pretty sharp

link

LordNth Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2012 6:19 p.m. PST

They guy that sculpted that Gruntz Mecha also did other models. Including this one on the TMP Market Place
TMP link

And here's another one he did next to my Rebel minis
-sorry if the picture is blurry-
link

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian30 Mar 2012 6:20 p.m. PST

There are a number of Privateer War Machine minis that will do nicely as 15mm mechs. The warjacks are a bit retro for most scifi (but fine for the Grim Darkness of the Far Future style settings) but the Retribution of Scyrah myrmidons are perfect anime mecha right out of the box. There were also a number of mecha (some from pirated IPs, some original) up on the various Shapeways stores, some good for 15mm. Old glory/Blue Moon has some as well, both in their actual 15mm Galactic War range and retasked ones from their excellent 28mm Superfigs stuff – see the ones in my closed auctions for examples:

auction

auction

Oh, and Critical Mass Games makes several walkers that should probably qualify too.

Dedthom30 Mar 2012 6:24 p.m. PST

Aren't the mech's made by Repaer Minatures for CAV 15mm? If not then some of them are very close.

Personal logo cloudcaptain Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2012 6:31 p.m. PST

They are generally 10mm. Some can pass for 15mm.

Personal logo McWong73 Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2012 9:24 p.m. PST

I've bought a fair few models in the hope of finding the perfect 15mm mech. Overall I would advise you to stick to vendors with dedicated 15mm mech ranges as its hit and miss with repurposing from differently scaled ranges and pre paint anime models. If you have the time for conversions then the limit is your imagination.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP31 Mar 2012 2:07 a.m. PST

Privateer Press' Dawnguard Invictors make really good 15mm Landmates (2x man-height 'powered suits'). I have a box of them that I bought for the purpose of converting into Landmates.

Some of Dream Pod 9's Heavy gear models work *very* well for VOTOMs or Gasaraki 'Tactical Armors' (3.7-4.5m tall). Pricey, but I haven't seen any other roughly 1/100 scale models available for those two series.

Something Patlabor-sized (6-9m tall) is a bit more problematic, there aren't a lot of 60-90mm mecha-looking models out there.

The real question is 'how big a mecha are you talking about?'

You can go to hlj.com and buy 1/100 scale Gundam models, if you don't mind a mecha that's 30cm tall on the table!

kreoseus231 Mar 2012 7:57 a.m. PST

EM4 do a pack of plastic mechs very cheaply that could work well for 15mm.

Phil.

link

ski206031 Mar 2012 10:01 a.m. PST

Well if these guys ever get made I think they'll make some nice sci-fantasy mechs:

link

You may like to know that Dreamforge also has 15mm scale versions of their Leviathan Walker models coming out. They are supposedly being cast as we speak. Hopefully they will be coming out soon.

I have been looking for some of the 1/87scale Heavy Gear models to use for a mercenary force, but they are extremely hard to find.

Does anyone have pics of the new style 1/144 Heavy Gears painted and in use for 15mm? I have thought about using them as a small mecha/ large power armor stand in, but am concerned that they are too small to fit a human scalewise.

infojunky31 Mar 2012 1:57 p.m. PST

With a little bit of rework GW's Orc Kans, Imp SM Dreadnought, IG Sentinel all make fine 15mm Mechs. The biggest issue I have with them is GW's Oversized weapons.

As for DP9's Heavy Gears, I think they work just fine as 15mm. My issue with DP9 is the price of the figures new, so I scrounge for them at Flea Markets…

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP31 Mar 2012 2:45 p.m. PST

Does anyone have pics of the new style 1/144 Heavy Gears painted and in use for 15mm? I have thought about using them as a small mecha/ large power armor stand in, but am concerned that they are too small to fit a human scalewise.
I've seen a few such pictures. You need to use the bigger Gears, like the Bears or the Cobras. The DP9 website does usually tell you what the height of the mecha is.

For example, I'm going to use the F2-25 Frames for the start of my Gasaraki TA platoon. They stand 37mm tall. I know they're pricey, $26 USD for two, but that is about the price of 2 FoW tanks (and I only need 4).

ski206031 Mar 2012 3:58 p.m. PST

So I was looking around at the new scale Gears today. I think, like you say, that the larger gears will work.

I have been specifically looking at the Spitting Cobra model, and it comes in at 43-45mm tall. I think that is plenty big enough to fit a human in the torso.

I did find one pic of the Southern GP strike cadre with some 15mm infantry for scale. They might work as AI Robots or large powered armor in a pinch.

link

The price of the new models is a shock though. $22 USD MSRP for 1 45mm Spitting Cobra? Ye Gods!

(Jake Collins of NZ 2) Inactive Member31 Mar 2012 8:20 p.m. PST

I'd appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions for Mechwarrior clix that work in 15mm – even as power armour.

clkeagle Inactive Member31 Mar 2012 10:13 p.m. PST

Don't forget Ravenstar Studios.

-Chris K.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP01 Apr 2012 2:56 a.m. PST

Yeah, they are pricey. They're close to the only game in town for 1/144 mecha (that aren't Gundam models), and their prices reflect that.

What's the price of a Tiger 2? Battlefront's is $34. USD BF Panthers are $19 USD each…

Some of the other Gears are cheaper, and are nearly as tall. Try the Koalas, they're $33 USD for 2:

picture

Or, if you're like me and like the rounded armor of the southerners more than the squared armor of the north, what about the Pythons? 43mm tall, and also $33 USD for 2:

picture

ski206001 Apr 2012 10:45 a.m. PST

Clkeagle: I've looked at the Ravenstar stuff. While interesting in it's own right, it doesn't really fit the vibe I want for my mecha forces.

Lion in the Stars: Like you I prefer the rounded armor of the Southern Gears over the hard angles of Northern Gears.
That Python box almost fits the bill for what I want, but it doesn't come with the weapon options I want.

I want to field several Spitting Cobras in the Support variant, i.e. Big Honkin' Underslung Gatling gun on the arm and large rocket/missile pack on the back.

There is a Southern Fire Support box with 3 Spitting Cobras and a command Jager with parts to make one Support Cobra. I can buy extra Gatling guns from DP9 for $2 USD each.

There is also the Southern Army box that comes with 3 Spitting Cobras, 3 Black Mambas, 3 Jagers (1 command version) and 2 demolition drones. It comes in at a heft $110 USD though.

So I'll either pick up the Fire Support box, or just spring for a southern army box if I can find one for a decent price.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP01 Apr 2012 3:16 p.m. PST

Don't forget that you can also buy the Blitz Weapons packs.

Though, personally, I'd buy the Pythons and bits-order the VHAC (big-honking gatling gun) and the rocket pods. It will be cheaper overall.

ThorLongus02 Apr 2012 7:41 a.m. PST

gundam gashopon 1/300 and 1/400 scale work nicely as well
also used a box of Zaku keychain models ..works perfectly

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.