Help support TMP

"One of the Greats has Passed." Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Wargaming Message Board

1,348 hits since 7 Mar 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Rich Bliss07 Mar 2012 7:29 p.m. PST

I have just been told that Greg Novak, one of the legends in the hobby has passed away. Greg is the man responsible for introducing me to the hobby over 28 years ago and has been a friend ever since. He was a great researcher and educator and I have deliberately modeled all of the games I've run after Greg's. I will miss his inspiration and enthusiasm greatly.

Rest in Peace, Greg

Personal logo Mexican Jack Squint Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian07 Mar 2012 7:39 p.m. PST

Oh no! What happened? I'd been in contact with him just a few weeks ago.

Personal logo Condotta Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2012 8:00 p.m. PST

Thank you for letting us know. His inspiration will be missed. Condolences.

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2012 8:00 p.m. PST

Sorry for the loss of your friend, as well as for the designer of some good games.

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2012 8:02 p.m. PST

A sad day for all.

PKay Inc07 Mar 2012 8:19 p.m. PST

I am so sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed Greg's writings and more recently his blog. I remember a couple of presentations of his at past Historicons – his enthusiasm was infectious. Even though I didn't "know" him, I'll miss him. Condolences to Greg's family and friends.

Brent

Tom Reed Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2012 8:21 p.m. PST

Greg also introduced me to the wargaming hobby back in 1976. As Rich said he was a great friend and mentor to me and I will sorely miss him.

Bunkermeister07 Mar 2012 8:26 p.m. PST

I only knew him from his public image. He was a pioneer in miniature wargaming and we are all less without him.

May he rest in peace and may God have mercy on his soul.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
bunkermeister.blogspot.com

Tom Reed Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2012 8:35 p.m. PST

Jack, someone just sent me an e-mail saying that Greg passed away from a heart attack.

21eRegt07 Mar 2012 8:40 p.m. PST

Damn… RIP

Mikhail Lerementov Inactive Member07 Mar 2012 8:46 p.m. PST

Greg had heart surgery to replace a valve in January. He was doing very well and we were planning a game for the end of the month. He introduced me to miniature gaming with Scruby 9mm AWI back in the early 70's and we had remained friends ever since. I find it hard to believe he is gone. I will miss him greatly.

abelp0108 Mar 2012 3:49 a.m. PST

RIP Mr. Novak…we keep losing the good ones!

DisasterWargamer08 Mar 2012 7:59 a.m. PST

RIP

lkmjbc308 Mar 2012 8:17 a.m. PST

I am worn out from my groaning.
All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.
my eyes grow weak with sorrow;

The world is slightly darker today. We have all lost a friend.

Joe Collins

The G Dog Fezian08 Mar 2012 7:19 p.m. PST

I'm stunned.

I was fortunate to work with Greg when he edited Command Post Quarterly and to have the pleasure of gaming with him several times over the last twenty years.

Greg was knowledgeable about so many different eras and his writings reflected that span of interest. I can't begin to count the articles he published on subjects ranging from Age of Sail to the Tunisian and Sicilian campaigns in WWII.

He will be missed and remembered. My condolences to his family and close friends.

link

LEGION 1950 Supporting Member of TMP09 Mar 2012 8:06 a.m. PST

R.I.P. Greg. Mike Adams

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.