Help support TMP

"Squad level scenarios" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

1,059 hits since 29 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Quadratus29 Feb 2012 3:01 p.m. PST

Does anyone have any squad level combat scenario ideas? I'd like to run a game of DH's point blank with something more detailed than a simple engagement.

Anything you've got historical or otherwise is appreciated

Personal logo RobH Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Feb 2012 3:17 p.m. PST

If you mean 1 base 1 squad games, the Crossfire "Hit the Dirt" book has a lot of well detailed scenarios. Allowing games of max platoon/company level.

There are also a few "free" ones around the web:
link

If you mean your entire force for the game is 1 squad then you are into rpg territory…Twilight 2000?

delta6ct Supporting Member of TMP29 Feb 2012 5:51 p.m. PST

I can't think of any free ones, but I'm sure they are around. Two Hour Wargames has some scenario books:

twohourwargames.com/ww2.html

Britton Publishers has a bunch too:

link

Mike

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP29 Feb 2012 6:13 p.m. PST

Se if your local library has or can get the old "Combat" episodes on DVD--there is a squad level scenarios in just about every episode.

Personal logo Pizzagrenadier Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Feb 2012 6:36 p.m. PST

I often use the Osprey campaign books as the basis for a lot of scenario ideas. It can give you the general situation and the units involved and with just a little extra research you can zoom into an action. Combined with maps from the period you can often find with a quick Google as well as comparing it to currents maps (also Google), you can quickly put together a scenario and have some ideas of how to lay out a table.

Also, scour the Hyperwar site for tons of small unit actions. You will often have to do some zooming in on an action and slice it down into a squad level action, but it is a great resource for all kinds of scenarios.

Here:

ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA

For example, I found a ton of good scenario ideas while researching Panzer Lehr on this site. The maps alone are great.

picture

Another example is the illustration in the Monte Cassino Osprey campaign book. The caption for the pic talks about the fighting for the Continental Hotel and that inspired me to do a scenario around that. Just flipping through them you can get some good ideas.

thosmoss29 Feb 2012 7:55 p.m. PST

The Skirmish Campaigns books are wonderful, filled with scenarios ranging from a couple squads up to quite a few squads. They are theme-oriented, following a campaign here or there. Formats vary, some are one-off scenarios, others are linked into a campaign game.

skirmishcampaigns.com

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2012 3:18 a.m. PST

A second for the Skirmish Campaigns books. great stuff.

snodipous02 Mar 2012 4:54 p.m. PST

I have the Skirmish Campaigns Red Devils book, and I'm in the latter stages of buying / assembling / painting every figure, AFV, and piece of terrain I need to run the first two campaigns from the book. They look like they will be a lot of fun.

If you are looking for some one-squad-per-side scenarios, a guy posted these scenarios for Operation Squad, which also look pretty good:

link

FleetfootMike Inactive Member05 Mar 2012 10:22 a.m. PST

snodipous: *smile* Thanks for the one sentence review :D More scenarios will follow.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.