Help support TMP

"BBC News - Could Britain still defend the Falklands?" Topic

114 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2004) Message Board

3,555 hits since 27 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 3 

Grizzlymc Inactive Member29 Mar 2012 2:33 p.m. PST

I wouldn't put it past the Wicked Witch of the South to order the removal of the keys from Fray Bentos tins.

Nah, what is her interest in improving people's health.

Grizzlymc Inactive Member29 Mar 2012 2:40 p.m. PST

Umm – if the UK wanted to nuke BA, couldn't it be done from Ascension island?

bridget midget the return02 May 2012 3:21 p.m. PST

Am I the only one who is getting mighty sick of Argentinas never ending moaning? If they believe they have a case with the UN that the UK is contravening UN directives then put up or shut up! Which directives, how are they being violated? Come on, report us to the headmaster.

mengo ate morrer Inactive Member02 May 2012 7:05 p.m. PST

Oh I dunno. Having recently had the misfortune to use Aerolineas Argentinas again, I'd say the Argentine flying populace must be remarkably stoic and uncomplaining. Last time I flew them they were still in private hands and they were hopeless. Nationalisation hasn't helped, they are still a bad joke. I expect the same thing will occur now they are bent on nationalising REPSOL.

Actual inflation is something around twice what official figures suggest so the next regular mini meltdown of their economy can't be too far off.

Personal logo GeoffQRF Sponsoring Member of TMP04 May 2012 3:53 a.m. PST

Just to make sure they stir it up a little, the Argentine hockey captain Fernando Zylberberg has filmed an advert of him training on the Falklands: link

They apparently somehow managed to do this secretly, without permission and without another sole (i.e. no Falklanders) appearing. The caption at the end of the advert reads:

"To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil"

Chouan04 May 2012 4:14 a.m. PST

Not that it's a deliberate provocation or anything, especially when filmed by the War Memorial…..

Personal logo GeoffQRF Sponsoring Member of TMP04 May 2012 4:16 a.m. PST

Not sure anyone would really know that was the war memorial he was stepping on, other than the comment to that effect, but it is either very thoughtless or deliberately provocative, yes.

mengo ate morrer Inactive Member04 May 2012 7:00 p.m. PST

"To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil"

To see what a beach looks like we must travel to Uruguay or Brazil.

To see what a functioning airline looks like we need to leave home.

To understand how to cook beef, rather than just grow it, we need to visit Brazil.

To wage war on the English we would need to borrow either the Chilean or Brazilian navies.

To win a world cup…….. nah, forget it.

Jemima Fawr04 May 2012 7:21 p.m. PST

I loved they way that they showed British flags, phone boxes, memorials, English words, left-hand drive roads, British pub, etc, etc in virtually every shot, thereby emphasising the inextinguishable Britishness of the location. :o)

Epic fail.

Personal logo GeoffQRF Sponsoring Member of TMP05 May 2012 4:27 a.m. PST

The British advertising agency has apologised for their Argentinian office's production: link

It seems it was a more generic advert, diverted and selectively edited without permission, initially rejected then picked up by the Government.

But I think our chances of winning the world cup (or possibly even qualifying) are similarly thin…

mengo ate morrer Inactive Member05 May 2012 4:28 a.m. PST

They do make a nice drop of Malbec and Italian food in BsAs is superb. Not sure grapevines would prosper on the Falklands.

mengo ate morrer Inactive Member05 May 2012 5:42 p.m. PST

An ex-RN Type 22 frigate sailed passed the other day. Not sure which one, it was too misty to make out the pennant number but it was an evocative sight, lovely looking boat set against a leaden South Atlantic sky.

Jemima Fawr06 May 2012 5:23 p.m. PST

This document has been linked in previous Falklands threads on TMP, but it's well worth a read. It's the most scholarly and comprehensive historical study of the claims, treaties and disputes that I've ever read, with the added bonus that it utterly demolishes the Argentine myths, claims and damned lies.

PDF link

Maxshadow Supporting Member of TMP07 May 2012 9:19 p.m. PST

Thanks for the PDF Mark. Good read. I've saved it.
They need to spend more time figuring out how to swing the Penguin vote.
Doing those steps on the war memorial was out of order. the Brits should ban them from the olympics. :oP

Pages: 1 2 3 

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.