Help support TMP

"Books on the Second Boer War" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

521 hits since 21 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Hazkal Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 6:48 a.m. PST

I'm just about to come to the end of Pakenham's 'The Boer War' and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other good books on the Boer War? I'm quite interested in learning more in general about the late Victorian British army, how it was structured and operated.

Personal logo Jeremy Sutcliffe Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 8:18 a.m. PST

Try W Baring Pemberton's "Battles of the Boer War" from the Pan British Battles series. You can find it on Amazon UK for as little as 98p link

NCC1717 Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 9:36 a.m. PST

"Scarlet into Khaki – the British Army on the Eve of the Boer War," J.M. Grierson, Greenhill Books, 1899, 1988, ISBN 0-947898-81-6.

Andrew Preziosi21 Feb 2012 9:43 a.m. PST

Just Google Free Ebooks using Boer…there are tonnes of classics out there for the taking.

If you need title help, just consult the biblio at the back of the Packenham effort.

I will second WBP's "Battles…" though, it is a tremendous little lightweight book.

BTW…the best, overall, pocket history of the War, is the (final) edition (1903 or some later date) of Arthur Conan Doyle's Boer War. Full of details for it's size, including OBs, terrain narratives, maps and drawings. For a miniature wargame…it's a GOLDMINE!

Personal logo Jeremy Sutcliffe Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 9:54 a.m. PST

And that's free on a kindle

Personal logo Hazkal Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 11:13 a.m. PST

Thank-you for your suggestions! I've picked up a copy of 'Battles of the Boer War' and I'll see if I can get the others too.

BullDog69 Inactive Member06 Mar 2012 12:07 a.m. PST

'The If Man' by Chris Ash has some good info.

freecloud06 Mar 2012 4:48 a.m. PST

Souuth Africans on the subject:

Reyne Kruger "Goodbye Dolly Gray"

link

Denys Reitz "On Commando" (Reitz was a Boer commander)

link

Stuart Cloete "Rags of Glory"

link

Also Mortimer Menpes "War Impressions" (British War Artists's impressions, gives a behind the lines look at the British confusion/in-fighting plus nice watercolours)

link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.