Help support TMP

"Schnagle-Nosed Sand Fly" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Gallery Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

400 hits since 9 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Steve6409 Feb 2012 4:29 p.m. PST

Created a set of flyer elements for a monstrosities HoTT army. Just experimenting with baked SuperSculpey at the moment quite a decent material to play with.

Does not hold detail as well 2-part epoxies like greenstuff or procreate, but it is a lot of fun to use. Dries slightly porous, so it is a good surface to paint on after dry.

picture

Here is a little flyer anyway, based on some of the local fauna.

link

Also noticed with Super Sculpey that if you accidentally overbake it, it turns black and can even blister on the surface. This accident can be very very useful if you want to create a surface with a random bump map on it that would otherwise be very difficult to sculpt.

I have used that accidental find now to good effect in making some real ugly mushroom and toadstool scenics.

Hope you enjoy reading about the Sand Fly anyway :)

000 Triple Aught Inactive Member09 Feb 2012 5:08 p.m. PST

I like it! I also like the way you did the base too (what did you use on it?). Good work.

BTW, nice work as well on the Hi-Speed video capture. I would have never guessed those things move that fast! :)

Steve6409 Feb 2012 8:15 p.m. PST

Thanks for that.

For basing on this one, vallejo brown earth (textured paint – about $20 USD for 200ml), army painter static grass, and the leaves are 'treemendous' brand summer leaf. There is some orange 'treemendous' autumn leaf on the rear of the base.

The treemendous stuff, I get online through Arcane Scenery's ebay shop. auction

Chhers

The treemendous 'forest floor' mix is excellent as well.

000 Triple Aught Inactive Member09 Feb 2012 8:40 p.m. PST

You're welcome and thanks for the lead on your basing materials. I've been on a long search for different basing treatments and those materials are certainly worth looking at.

Andrew Beasley Inactive Member10 Feb 2012 3:36 a.m. PST

Brilliant idea and masterfully implemented.

The video is inspired and than terrain is great.

Only thing is this may have a major impact on the tourist trade in the area if these are really based on local fauna!

Looking forward to the toadstools etc.

Andrew

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.