Help support TMP

"Flex Terrain " Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

1,173 hits since 7 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Olaf 0307 Feb 2012 6:28 a.m. PST

Does anyone know if Flex Terrain is still available. This was product (flexible roads and rivers) made in the 90's I believe by Jim Brokaw. I assume he is no longer making it, but I wasn't sure if anyone had the molds?

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2012 7:21 a.m. PST

Flexible roads/rivers can be had from Battlefield
Terrain Concepts. The website doesn't currently list the roads, but I
bought some at Southern Front last fall. They come in both
15mm and 25/28mm battlefieldterrain.com

Miniature Worldmaker terrain offers a LOT of different
roads and rivers. I've a lot of these (as well as a
lot of BTC's) and they're quite good.

link

I don't know if Jim's terrain is still available. I have
some of it as well, but haven't seen any for sale in a long
time (6 or so years ?)

Olaf 0307 Feb 2012 9:22 a.m. PST

Ed,

Can you tell me how wide the road sections are from Battlefield terrain and what they are made of?

The roads on Miniature Worldmaker look interesting and appear to be 2" wide, can you confirm this? Also do the ruts in the road have tire tracks if so this would not work since I primarily game ACW and Napoleonic in 20mm.

The reason I am looking for the old Flex Terrain is that the roads were 2.25 inches wide with the actual road surface being 2 inches. For my purposes if road pieces are much wider they look too big and if the road surface is less than two inches some of my bases would extend over the road surface.

I have some of the JR Miniatures roads (which are 3" wide). These work well for my 28mm but they are way too big for 20mm figures. Every road product I have seen so far is either around 3" wide or under 2".

Personal logo nazrat Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2012 9:32 a.m. PST

I have some of the 28mm ones from Battlefield Terrain Concepts and they are quite nice and are 2 3/4 inches wide. There are ruts in them but not tire tracks so they would be fine for the ACW and such. I'd suggest dropping Doug a line and asking him the width of his 15mm ones. Highly recommended!

Monday Knight Productions also have some nice roads suitable for any age. I have a ton of these for my 15mm games and they are excellent. A bit thinner and less robust than the BTC roads but still great for my money. They are 1 1/2' wide with the actual road surface being a bit less than that. They also have a nice set that is 2" wide which sounds like more like what you are looking for.link

Olaf 0307 Feb 2012 11:19 a.m. PST

Nazrat,

Do you have pictures of your BTC roads? They don't have any on their website.

Personal logo Steve Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2012 11:38 a.m. PST

I'd like to recommend Wargamer's Terrain flex roads and rivers. I use them quite a bit and love them, plus he will custom make exactly what you need.

link

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2012 11:52 a.m. PST

Olaf, Doug's 15mm dirt roads are (by my measurement)
1 1/4 " wide. They have ruts, no tire tracks, just
like the 25/28mm roads. Naz' measurement is right
for the 25/28mm (2.75").

Length of the road segments: 15mm at 20", 25/28mm
at 16". I've used scissors and cut some of mine
shorter.

Miniature Worldmaker: width of my 25/28mm is 2.25",
with ~ 2.00" being road, the rest verge. Road segment
length varies, probably because I've shortened some
over the years (the material is very durable and I've
buildings of MW material which I cram, literally, into
boxes and when 'uncramming,' the buildings just pop
back into shape).

Send me an address and I'll mail you a sample of the
MW road (they make river sections as well, if you're
interested) so you can match it to Jim's and see how
well it matches. I'd do that for you, but my Brokaw
terrain is in storage, so I can't.

eamohrmannATmindspringDOTcom

Olaf 0307 Feb 2012 1:12 p.m. PST

Ed,

Email sent. Thanks for helping me out with this.

BTCTerrainman Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2012 5:06 p.m. PST

Olaf 03: Sorry for not having the roads up on our site yet/right now. I have been looking for an alternative site/options, but there is never enough time.

Our roads are made of eurethane rubber and come prepainted/ready to use. We offer them in 3 widths, 1 1/4", 2" and 2.5". They are all dirt/rutted roads. The two smaller sizes are very thin, while the larger/wider size is a bit thicker due to deeper ruts for the larger scales.

Email me and I will send you details and answer any questions.

Doug

paulkit Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member08 Feb 2012 6:18 a.m. PST

Also totalsystemscenic.com See `rubber raods and rivers. OK I know it's not really rubber but you get the idea.

Personal logo HeadlessHessian Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Aug 2012 4:53 p.m. PST

DELETED

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.