Help support TMP

"Cross of Iron - in Italy" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

555 hits since 31 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Cornelius Supporting Member of TMP31 Jan 2012 1:33 p.m. PST

I have recently come into possession of some original 7th Armd documents from October 1943 (he served in 3RHA). They seem to be intelligence reports mixed in with world news. At the end of one is a story about a Sergeant from 5 Coy 129 PGR captured south of the river Volturno where he was in a group covering the demolition of a bridge. Allegedly, a Lt Col Grell (these are British equivalents of German ranks) came across the river and ordered them to stay on the British side, if necessary for 8-10 days. When he replied that they had had practically no food for 3 days and could not be responsible for their actions, the colonel barked out "The position will be held until I order you to withdraw" and then crossed back north. The document goes on to say "The men remarked that their new Colonel had not been wearing a 'Ritterkreuz', and that this was probably an effort of his to win one." This of course reminds one of Peckinpah's "Cross of Iron".

I wish there was more of this material – perhaps we'll find some more when we clear more of the house.

Personal logo Tango 2 3 Ditto Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2012 6:58 a.m. PST

I love the cynicism of those guys! grin Soldiers are the same everywhere.

That is really interesting stuff. Hopefully you'll find more to share.

Is this a house that you've bought from the 3 RHA fellow, or are you helping to clear an estate?
--
Tim

Cornelius Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2012 1:09 p.m. PST

It's my father in law's house – he died in September. I think there's at least one skirmish scenario based around eliminating a German OP. I hope when we go back we'll find more of this stuff but possibly not. I do have now his History of 7ArmD, 4th ArmB and 7th ArmB and we have his campaign medals. He was in the Home Guard as he was in a protected occupation but volunteered for the army at the age of 20 or 21.

donlowry02 Feb 2012 11:38 a.m. PST

Sounds like a good scenario for a skirmish game!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.