Help support TMP

"D&D Modular dungeon in action + some painted minis" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy RPG Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Gallery Message Board

861 hits since 30 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 1:07 a.m. PST

My modular set up in action plus some painted minis.

53Punisher30 Jan 2012 2:42 a.m. PST

Very cool! Nice stuff, what dungeon manufacturer is that?

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 2:59 a.m. PST

cheers! Hirst Arts moulds cast up in hydrostone and stained with tea bags (saves painting!).

Tables and chairs (apart from from the bucket chairs) are my own make. I made moulds with Siligum (RTV silicone putty) and cast those up in hydrostone too.

Cards on the table were made from slivers of matchsticks, then painted after being glued to the table top.

RobH Fezian30 Jan 2012 3:12 a.m. PST

"…and the thief goes in and checks the large barrels and wall behind for secret passages…."

Really great looking set up, something I have wanted to do for my Thane Tostig collection but not got round to yet.

Parmenion Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 4:26 a.m. PST

Very effective, I'm envious.

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian30 Jan 2012 5:41 a.m. PST

>stained with tea bags (saves painting!).

Very cunning.

Luckyjoe Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 9:37 a.m. PST

Wow, great looking Dungeon. Do you soak the bricks in tea prior to assembly?

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2012 10:31 a.m. PST

Love the cards on the table!

Feet up now30 Jan 2012 11:04 a.m. PST

Fantastic stuff.must really add fun to the game.Nicely done.

Goose666 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 12:58 p.m. PST

NIce.. If hadn't already taken a jump into Dwarven forges range of bits, I think I would have gone with the Hirst arts options. In the long run probably would have proved cheaper!

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 2:58 p.m. PST

Thanks all!

@Luckyjoe – Yep, I soak a whole lot of them in a big aluminium foil roasting tray (costs 2 bucks from the local discount store) with about 70 black tea bags. About a day or so. A bucket would also work, but I used the tray to dry my home made flock so it was handy. I then dried them out on a few cheap trays, letting them rest on some absorbent paper towel for a while. I glued them together with PVA.

@Gooose666 – Let me tell you, the grass is always greener on the other side. There were times that I wished I'd gone for Dwarven Forge as the process is a little dusty and I don't have a dedicated workspace, so clean up was always a hassle. Plus, the amount of casting required is… challenging.

I would recommend anyone starting out to either bite the bullet and buy multiple moulds or learn how to cast your own moulds and make moulds of larger sections (which is what I did in the end and is allowed in the licence agreement in case someone is concerned about "recasting").

I'd definitely do it again. In fact, I need to stain more pieces and start working on the caverns! :)

000 Triple Aught Inactive Member30 Jan 2012 3:25 p.m. PST

Great job. Nice layout! I like your "dungeon dressing" things like the tables, chairs, cards, etc. as well.

akudjinn17 Feb 2012 6:22 a.m. PST

You can buy all those blocks and tiles from Castle Kits.

castlekits.com

Great layout!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.