Help support TMP

"Dance with Dragons observation" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Media Message Board

422 hits since 28 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mr Elmo28 Jan 2012 3:55 p.m. PST

Elmo just finished Dance with Dragons and I noticed something near the end: George RRRRRRRRR Martin goes on about Drogon darting in and out of clouds.

Yet, the closest real equivalent (birds) do not fly into clouds. In fact, they become disoriented just like human pilots. Birds do adopt a "glide" mode to get out of clouds but I don't think they would go in them on their own.

Don't you think dragons would do the same? Perhaps, being beasts of fire, they also have an internal gyro.

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2012 4:01 p.m. PST

Having never read the books, are the dragons intelligent? If so, that would definitely make a difference in their behavior vis-a-vis clouds. For example, fighter pilots have been darting in and out of cloud cover since WWI.

Personal logo RavenscraftCybernetics Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2012 4:10 p.m. PST

clouds are cold and wet and to be avoided.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian28 Jan 2012 4:26 p.m. PST

Your dragons got thermal imaging as standard? Sounds likely for a "fire" critter. Regular clouds might not bother them much in that case – wouldn't care for "hot smoke" though, volcanic cinder clouds and the like.

skinkmasterreturns29 Jan 2012 10:02 p.m. PST

Not to change the subect,but if you thought Tolkein was bad with his long walks,GRRM's characters try to walk someplace several times,and never get there.You can tell he wrote for tv.

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2012 10:09 a.m. PST

I always thought dragons had some sort of higher vision, i.e. High Def, or IR or something like that so they shouldn't be bothered by the clouds.
beer

billthecat08 Feb 2012 1:51 p.m. PST

I will check my dragon DNA samples for the answer…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.