Help support TMP

"French Line Infantry collar color" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Painting Guides Message Board

609 hits since 26 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Force XXI26 Jan 2012 7:31 p.m. PST

Hello,

I'm currently painting up quite a few 1.72 scale plastic French Line infantry.
I'm using the box art as a guide but I am finding discrepancies with online and Men-at-Arms Series books references against the box art.
The box art shows blue collars with red outlines but I can not find any reference to this color match online of the 2 types of Men-at-Arms Series books.

Which should I look at as my actual painting guid?

thanks for any advise

CraigSpiel Inactive Member26 Jan 2012 8:06 p.m. PST

As I recall French center companies and grenadiers have red collars with white piping. Voltigeurs are buff/yellow colored with red piping.

DeanMoto Inactive Member26 Jan 2012 8:58 p.m. PST

These are pretty standard examples:

picture

picture

Force XXI26 Jan 2012 9:10 p.m. PST

Ahh, Thanks DeanMoto
Looks like the Grenadier Old Guard I painted is correctly done but I'll have to re paint the standard Fusilier collars.

I also have seen 2 colors for the blanket rolls. French blue and a grey. Would it really matter which color the blanket should be? I'm painting them French Blue atm.

DeanMoto Inactive Member26 Jan 2012 9:15 p.m. PST

The rolls on the backpack are normally greatcoats – greys, blue-greys would be normal. Of course, the good campaigner will acquire numerous and divers accouterments grin That is, no one should fault you for variations. Best, Dean

Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2012 3:08 a.m. PST

Be careful. The Old Guard Grenadiers had plain blue collars, not the red piped white of the Line

Femeng2 Inactive Member27 Jan 2012 4:40 a.m. PST

Also, the old guard had blue greatcoats.
And also for the old guard don't forget the mandatory earings!

Force XXI27 Jan 2012 2:26 p.m. PST

well since these French are plastic Airfix they lack ears…

The old Guard grenadiers do have the blue collars. so I'm good there. it was the regular standard line infantry I wasn't sure about. lol

I'll be going with the blue for the great coats.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.