Help support TMP

"Plaster Miniatures and Terrain" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to The Industry Message Board

Back to the Moldmaking and Casting Message Board

785 hits since 19 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Psyckosama Inactive Member19 Jan 2012 2:53 p.m. PST

Hi. I've been thinking. For simple things like vehicle hulls, buildings, and simple terrain and the like do you think it would be possible to use high grade, high strength plaster as a material rather than resin in order to cut costs (and pass the savings onto the consumer) without adversely affecting quality, durability, and detail?

sillypoint19 Jan 2012 3:04 p.m. PST

Yes, been done, Timecast??

Mako1119 Jan 2012 3:13 p.m. PST

For buildings and terrain, which get handled less, I don't see a problem with that.

I'm a bit concerned about vehicles though, which will presumably be handled a lot more.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2012 3:25 p.m. PST

Hulls cast in something like Excalibur or Merlin's Magic plasters should, I think, be amply strong enough.

Doug

Psyckosama Inactive Member20 Jan 2012 4:11 a.m. PST

@sillypoint
I think they use Resin.

@Mako11
I was thinking the larger, more solid parts like vehicle hulls, turret bodies… anything that's mostly a block of mass without much in the way of fiddly detail.

@elsyrsyn
Seems a bit heaver than resin, but if you're like me and plan to ship using fixed rate boxes that's hardly a problem. Holding up to damage is my main concern.

Should also be easier on the molds and less toxic to work with…

timlillig Fezian20 Jan 2012 8:56 a.m. PST

I enjoy making and using plaster terrain. It works very well and I prefer working with plaster to working with resin. I think there would be problems using it for vehicles.

RobH Fezian20 Jan 2012 9:46 a.m. PST

I had buildings, terrain and ships hulls cast in plaster (ironstone)dating back 15 or 16 years. Plenty of chips and rounded corners over the years but no serious damage. Providing everything is based and a bit of thought used when painting they are sturdy enough for gaming.
Only downside is the weight. Size for size they are 4 or 5 times as heavy as resin.

timlillig Fezian20 Jan 2012 11:16 a.m. PST

Good point about basing. Having a solid base would be important to minimizing damage.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.