Help support TMP

"Perry Miniature question" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Product Reviews Message Board

768 hits since 12 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dobber12 Jan 2012 10:04 p.m. PST

I was wondering if you could make convincing dismounts for the acw cav with a box of the acw infantry. I know they dont have swords but that can be easily explained away by saying they are strapped to the saddles.

btw, I am going to be using them for old west cav instead of acw, and its going to be more of a "reel" setting than a "real" one, so they dont have to be perfect.
also, I have a few boxes of the cav already, put pith helmets on them and used them for british. in the process I did not use and of the pistols or carbines so i have a few lying around to convert up the infantry figures if this can be done.

thanks in advance

~Joe

This silliness must end Inactive Member12 Jan 2012 11:39 p.m. PST

In a word no. The Perry ACW infantry are almost all marching, carrying their muskets at (I believe its called ) "support arms." It would be very difficult to cut those muskets down to look like carbines. Even then you would have dismounted cavalry in a very unnatural pose for them. There are a few figures that you could use but frankly to get a substantial number you would have to buy so many boxes that going metal dismounted cavalry would be cheaper.

Serotonin13 Jan 2012 4:51 a.m. PST

Its a shame the Perrys didnt do as they did for the French Dragoon boxset, which came with a sprue of dismounted troopers.

avidgamer13 Jan 2012 5:02 a.m. PST

Joe,

As Jowady said, no. The difference isn't so much the rifles into carbines, it's more the fact that the infantry models are carrying too much infantry equipment which cav wouldn't even have with them. They have bayonets and scabbards, they have Haversacks and would not have that on their person, their cartridge boxes are all the wrong size with it on their hips and not behind them, wearing blankets which the cav would not have them on their person and of course no sabers.

They are carrying their rifles in Shoulder Arms not Support Arms.

Dobber13 Jan 2012 4:03 p.m. PST

thanks everyone. any suggestions on what to use for dismounted cav? as I mentioned before, just looking for nice figures with character and each one being unique. historical accuracy is a distant second as long as they look the part.

Craig Woodfield13 Jan 2012 4:11 p.m. PST

Perry's metal dismounted cavalry are fine figures, so go have a look at their website.

This silliness must end Inactive Member13 Jan 2012 7:47 p.m. PST

I stand corrected as to the name of the position. As a further comment I love the cavalry set but am disappointed in the infantry. The poses seem to static for most situations. I think it was Perry's first plastic set and I hope that the supplant it, or support it with another.

HammerHead15 Jan 2012 5:01 a.m. PST

@ Dobber I have the Perry dismounted cavalry metal needed 2 more to make `set` the infantry bloke reaching into cartridge box easy to convert to cav.
right he has shell jacket trim away the musket,haversack,canteen. cut the guys right arm off then trim open box to a holster no need to cut flap looks like open holster, I next used a pistol arm fitted that.
sword, cavalry patteren trim hand then cut of at wrist round off the bottom of sword.& fit.
Make cartridge box from scrap using refs. & fit. I had my guy holding a flag but that is up to you. you could also fit a carbine.Any more e-mail me daveyjm@live.co.uk
mention your tmp name in subject box or TMP or something

Regards Hammerhead

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.