Help support TMP

"Opinions - Old Glory 15mm SYW French?" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Product Reviews Message Board

887 hits since 10 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Don1962 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member10 Jan 2012 5:26 a.m. PST

Can anyone offer their unvarnished opinion on these these miniatures? How do they compare to competing brands? I'm most interested in:

* quality of sculpting
* variety of poses (I like variety)

Renaud S10 Jan 2012 5:39 a.m. PST

Their best line of their SYW range. 3 references with, without and with half turnbacks, and a lot of variety inside these references (like 10 different poses per pack). A bit too much "animated" maybe, like most OG. I have batallions of OG attacking and batallions of Blue Moon marching for variety.

Another Account Deleted Inactive Member10 Jan 2012 6:02 a.m. PST

It's been a while since I painted up some of these, but I really liked them at the time I was working on them. Pretty much agree with Renaud S.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 6:28 a.m. PST

The OG15 lists cover the possiblity to have French for the WAS or SYW. Of course the figures can be used for other nations, too. I have French fusiliers for some battalions of Austrians (no turnbacks).

I will be ordering the French Generals and Light Troop packs this week.

Cheers,

War In 15MM10 Jan 2012 9:30 a.m. PST

I don't have the Old Glory 15s' SYW, but their figures make up large numbers, if not majorities, of my figure collections for Imperial Roman and its enemies, the 1879 Zulu War, the Sudan, the American Civil War and my Napoleonics (French and Austrians). I have regularly mixed them with Battle Honours and Essex with no problem as well as Corvus Belli, Peter Pig, and Minifig but that's more a case by case decision. I know that a lot of people view Old Glory 15s as somewhat crude, but they have served me well for decades. You can see mine in gallery form at warin15mm.com/index.html

21eRegt10 Jan 2012 9:55 a.m. PST

Most of my French 15s are Old Glory and I'm extremely pleased with the castings, poses and variation. I use a multi-layered drybrush technique and they are among my proudest pieces. The figures really lend themselves to painting. Their Prussians are okay and I don't care for the Austrians. Russians I've only worked with the Observation Corps figures and cuirassiers and was neither impressed nor disappointed.

Now it was some time ago that I bought the French, so I can't comment on the quality of the current molds but will certainly endorse the original figures.

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 10:00 a.m. PST

Old Glory 15's are the backbone of my newer 7YW war units.

The Old Glory 15 set of French infantry with double turnbacks is the best of the 7YW figures, in my opinion. Good animation, good sculpting. The set with no turnbacks has no equipment like back-pack or side satchel, but figures are good. The set with front turnback only is marching at the carry, with side packs, but varied, and good sculpting. All are moving, but none of the colour officers is moving, making an odd mix. Excellent drummers, and two types. I have many of each set, and like them all. I mix the two long-tailed sets, with and whitout equipment at will.

French gunners are the worst of the series, but acceptable. British/Hanoverian/Austrian and Prussian are very good. All the guns are good.

The French light unit with helmet and crest needs conversion. It has a front brim, and no unit had that in the 7YW. The figures are not as well sculpted. But I added liquid steel epoxy around the helmet to make them Volontaires de Clermont in buff and red; and "Legion de La Mithique" (imagination unit) in dark brown and red with scarlet turban on steel helmet, inspired by La Morliere of the 1740's.

I have seen others use the Chasseur de Fischer grenadier figures to do them as Grenadiers de France with bearskins (passable) and the Prussian Friekorps Schony (conversion needed to scrape away the high gaiters). The Fischers in the mirliton, need to have it cut down in size, and the coat is dead wrong for the Fischers. I did mine as an "imagi-nation" unit of Prussian freicorps troops inspired by von Kleist late-war infantry.

I found minifigs too small to my liking, but have two sample French infantry units. I use one unit of Essex as a sample in most of my armies, and they are compatible size wise. Eureka horses are too big for my taste, but I have samples of their Austrian and Prussian infantry in these armies.

I switched to Prussians vs Austrians Old Glory 15's because the British and Hanoverian OG 15 infantry just do not appeal. My French will be marching to join their Austian
allies in all my battles!

I have sample units of Freikorp figures as well, but really like their two- and four-wheel ammunition carts.

French cavalry figures are good, but many criticize the horses. I frankly like their early horses better than the current "breed." The heavy cavalry figure in tricorn needs to have shoulder "cuffs" – as under cuirasse – scraped away, but is a good figure, useful for other nations such as Saxon light horse. The two dragoons are good – one tricorn, other forage cap. With Tricorn, one could get by doing the huge Carabinier regiment, as it appears to have the long rifled musket, butt down. Oddly, the dragoon in forage cap carries a short carbine, muzzle down, which I do not think is correct.

There was one true cuirassier regiment in French service, the 8th, Cuirassiers du Roi. The Old Glory 15 example is good, but carries a long musketoon, but down. I have only seen them illustrated with the short, muzzle down, carbine. I use them anyway.

And the price is right!

GdeP
GdeP

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 10:24 a.m. PST

GdeP,

Thanks for the review.

You did not mention the French Generals. How do these compare with their Austrian or Prussian ones?

Cheers,

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member10 Jan 2012 11:01 a.m. PST

Eureka's are nice but rather pricey. I will eventually have some though. Especially for command and special units. As far as horses go, I think you will find that in reality, there was a variance in horse sizes with the larger horses being for the heavy cavalry in general. As the war went on, no one could enforcer the standards of color and size due to more demand than supply. There is an article online somewhere showing horse scale comparisons. I believe that AB and Eureka are almost dead on to being the right size. As gamers, we may have gotten used to horses being on the small side ;-)

I would think you should look at Blue Moon as well. You can order command packs which will be cheaper than full packs to get an idea. Their website shows their poses.

I have mixed feelings about Old Glory. As stated above, the stuff they have put out in the last few years is not as animated and more realistic. But I have some Napoleonics from them; the Bavarians have some strange poses, the Prussian cavalry are nice, I think.

Looks like the 7YW stuff may be better than some of the older lines from what others are saying. Again, I would order some as you will be the best judge of things. Just saying not to overlook Blue Moon. You can get discounts with the Old Glory Army card as well.

Don1962 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member10 Jan 2012 11:17 a.m. PST

Thanks for the information. Love to see some photos, if anyone has them to share.

Would the Old Glory 15s mix well with Eureka's "18mm" SYW line, especially in terms of figure size?

Personal logo Lannes Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 11:22 a.m. PST

See TMP link
There are a few pictures of eureka French and og French cavalry

I have a large og French syw army. I am pleased with the foot and not so with the cavalry. I would agree with the comments above and agree that the og horses are small.

The eureka cavalry has really big horses see the pictures in the link below and the heavy cavalry does not have turn backs. This works I suppose for was but from what I can tell not for syw. Sorry for the typing I am doing this on my iPhone.

Personal logo Lannes Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 12:03 p.m. PST

One more thing eureka cavalry are one piece castings

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 12:18 p.m. PST

Hello, Don:

Sorry! I dropped out to work!

I have not yet painted any Old Glory generals, but have bare castings for French, Austrian and Prussian. The Prussians have clear personalities like Frederick; Zieten; and Seydlitz. I don't recall any French with identifiable unique uniforms. They do seem to have too-short coat tails.

My French generals so far are from Essex! Horses a bit too large for me!

GdeP

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 1:40 p.m. PST

GdeP,

Thank you for your reply.

General Officers are usually the first elements I paint. This works as a stimulus to finish the rest…(read) army.

Cheers,
Robert
18thcenturysojourn.blogspot.com

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2012 2:29 p.m. PST

It seems like for 100 years my armies had no officers, flag bearers or musicians! Back in the day where all figures in one position, and selection was poor!

Old Glory 15's ended that! But one or two colours in a 49-figure unit still looks like a large colour guard to me!

But still few generals. I need someone to game with before I come to that!

GdeP

Musketier on the March Inactive Member11 Jan 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

Having handled both OG15 and Eureka samples, I'd say they're quite compatible. I'm planning to use Eureka cavalry with a mix of OG and Eureka infantry. In bare metal the sculpting style may look slightly different. Once painted though, one could probably even mix them in a (larger) unit for variety. No pictures yet, sorry…

Musketier on the March Inactive Member11 Jan 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

Having handled both OG15 and Eureka samples, I'd say they're quite compatible. I'm planning to use Eureka cavalry with a mix of OG and Eureka infantry. In bare metal the sculpting style may look slightly different. Once painted though, one could probably even mix them in a (larger) unit for variety. No pictures yet, sorry…

steamingdave4719 Jan 2012 2:01 p.m. PST

I use OG infantry with Eureka and Blue Moon infantry. Cavalry is a real issue-the OG horses are ridiculously small. I did try substituting horses from other ranges such as Fantassin and Battle Honours, which helped a bit, but have decided I will just have to bear the cost of Eureka to get the size I want.
I am not entirely happy with the Eureka cavalry. The horses tend towards the flat when viewed head on, but they paint up well and look impressive as units. Blue Moon cavalry are really nice, but a little on the small side against Eureka (although bigger than OG)
I do have a few Lancashire Games SYW-they are a fairly cheap range, do big packs of figures and cavalry are a decent size. The infantry I have (Saxons) are a little small and lacking in detail. The British cavalry are better, reasonable sized horses, although the riders sit far too deeply (they are one piece castings) and my box had a lot of flash. Metal is a bit soft as well, but I think they will look fine when painted and based. If I was starting again, Ithink I would go for OG and Blue Moon infantry, with Blue Moon cavalry.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.