Help support TMP

"Flashing Blades Rules Reviews?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Back to the Pirates Message Board

619 hits since 8 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mako1108 Jan 2012 12:09 a.m. PST

Just curious to see if anyone is using these for Musketeer, or Pirate battles?

Opinions of them, would be greatly appreciated.

Princeps08 Jan 2012 2:19 a.m. PST

Do you mean the RPG Flashing Blades by FGU? If so, no, I've only used it for role playing (so skirmishes) and not battles.

Mako1108 Jan 2012 2:22 a.m. PST

Yes.

Apparently, it is available for a very reasonable price – $6.00 USD for a PDF, and there's a Pirate supplement for $4.00 USD more, if I recall correctly.

Woollygooseuk08 Jan 2012 2:51 a.m. PST

I had a lot of fun with the original 'back in the day' and have recently picked up a copy of the scanned pdf. As Princeps says, it is an RPG rather than a wargame. As such the combat system is detailed (I'd say by modern standards over-detailed), but good if you want to fight duels with 2-3 figs per side. I don't have the books with me right now, but I seem to remember the pirate supplement covers campaign background info for the Caribbean and an abstract ship vs ship combat system. I'd say they are a cheap source of ideas for a skirmish camapign, but for combat itself I'd recommend using the free Chain Reaction 3 – Swordplay rules from TwoHourWargames

link

I also think their new Long Rifle and Musket & Mohawks rules would be ideal for a pirates conversion.

(Disclosure: I have no commercial connection with THW, but I am a complete fanboy)

Princeps08 Jan 2012 3:50 a.m. PST

OK, I have everything FGU produced for FB. It does have a big battle system, but it is totally abstract. It really is a role playing game, I would not use it for a skirmish wargame myself. However, as an RPG it is excellent and holds up well against more modern games covering the same period IMO. The scenario books are very good as well.

Mako1108 Jan 2012 3:44 p.m. PST

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a good possibility, as you mention, for dueling, and for backstory info for the period.

I appreciate the recommendation for CR3 – Swordplay, and their new set as well.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.