Help support TMP

"Ideas on a Travelleresque character generator for 5150" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SFRPG Message Board

316 hits since 27 Dec 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

RTJEBADIA27 Dec 2011 11:00 a.m. PST

link

I need input on this…. Title pretty much says it all.

Space Monkey27 Dec 2011 5:53 p.m. PST

Interesting idea… appeals to my everlasting love of Classic Traveller. I've got the New Beginnings book mailing its way to me so I'll be interested in seeing what develops.
I don't spot any obvious lapses…

Mako1127 Dec 2011 8:03 p.m. PST

Sounds like a great idea.

Space Monkey27 Dec 2011 8:31 p.m. PST

Is there a way to end up with the wide-eyed farmboy who, by luck and pluck, will end up becoming the hero of the alliance (despite little or no formal training)?

What about a kidnapped girl who had secret experiments done on her that turned her into a mentally disturbed killing machine?

Vat grown super soldier (with a mind of his own)?

RTJEBADIA27 Dec 2011 8:52 p.m. PST

Venusboy- all those things make cool characters, but probably wouldn't fit in well with a generator of this type… Certain characters just need to be made up on their own… try making any of those things with the standard 5150 NB character set up.

Wide eyed farmboy is probably best represented by just making some Rep 5 (maybe 4) with Star Status… that'll make them 'lucky' and hard to kill despite little skill.

Kidnapped girl is a bit more difficult… you might want to look into the psionics in Infestation (they're still selling that, right?) and make a character who is pretty generally awesome. My own way of handling that was that i had two versions of the River character- one was basically all low stats, with some bad attributes, while the other was super high attribute in everything…. and she kinda randomly switches between the two in the game/campaign (kinda like drunkard, I guess).

Super soldier? I'd probably make it a Rep 5 Fit 5 the rest doesn't matter with some built in soldiering ability.

All of those are probably best made by the player to fit the concept… the idea of this generator is to provide a cool way to develop the history of a character after than initial concept. If you want a super soldier who then lives life like a normal person, then you could just give your character a starting Rep of 5 and from there generate them regularly…

Anyway, I'm taking the characters I rolled up for a spin right now (just taking a quick break, the preparation just ended), so we'll see if they work…. and they're going up against normal randomly generated 5150 NB guys, so we'll see if they're too powerful, too.

Space Monkey27 Dec 2011 11:55 p.m. PST

Yeah, sorry… I always head straight for the obvious end of the pool.

I like the were-River idea where she switches between the two stat blocks. Kind of like Cu Chulainn.
We've been playing a good bit of 'old' 5150, so yeah, we've got the various supplements… just waiting on New Beginnings to arrive.

RTJEBADIA28 Dec 2011 12:23 a.m. PST

Here's the batrep using them characters (up against "regular" randomly generated NB characters… the "good" guys won-- what they're doing ain't really good-- but overall I felt things were pretty balanced….)
link

It was a lot of fun. Felt a lot like some Traveller games I've been in (though it was definitely one of the more 'killy' ones, as it is an assassination).

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.