Help support TMP

"Gem technqiue for painting canopies?" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Modern Aviation Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the WWII Aviation Painting Guides Message Board

3,674 hits since 16 Dec 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

kmahony11116 Dec 2011 12:31 p.m. PST

Hi all

Has anyone tried using this painting technique on aircraft canopies? It would probably be easier on Modern bubble canopies but I'm thinking on trying it on some Battle of Britain planes. I dont know if I'll do it for each pane as that could be tedious, instead I was thinking of painting each side and the front as a "gem".

Here's some links in case you've never heard of this

link

link

Cheers
Kieran

Angel Barracks16 Dec 2011 12:44 p.m. PST

Looks just like some subtle blending to me, which I am aware you are more than capable of having seen your work.

:D

Mikhail Lerementov Inactive Member17 Dec 2011 10:27 a.m. PST

I'm not sure how it's going to look. Possibly not adding the lower highlight would look better. Shading from the highlight down to the darkest color at the base of the canopy might give the impression of seeing through it. It isn't a task I would undertake. Hopefully you'll post it here when you get it done. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Personal logo mxconnell Supporting Member of TMP20 Dec 2011 6:15 a.m. PST

I am not sure this makes sense.

How a gem is shaded is due to how light passes through the gem.

A canopy, on the other hand, is a purely reflective excercise. A dark region behind a piece of glass acts like a partially silvered mirror.

I think you would come closer to a modern canopy using non-metal metalic techniques or earth/sky nmm.

Omemin Inactive Member20 Dec 2011 2:28 p.m. PST

I simply use gloss black. Much simpler and looks great, especially with silver aircraft. Not bad on various camouflage schemes and good with classic olive drab or sea blue.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.