Help support TMP

"pics of Great Endeavors Houston's Ships?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

541 hits since 7 Dec 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

HesseCassel Inactive Member07 Dec 2011 11:47 p.m. PST

I'm wondering if anyone has pics of either the raw metal or well-painted ships from this line. I'm particularly interested in the Spanish-American war, but happy to see anything.

The pics at the website are pretty bad, and the paint jobs themselves not so hot, either. I've never seen them in the raw metal, either. The GW fellow said he'd go to Historicon, and then I didn't go.

Berlichtingen08 Dec 2011 4:56 a.m. PST
Schlesien Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2011 7:38 a.m. PST
Allen5708 Dec 2011 7:42 a.m. PST

Some of the molds used by Great Endeavors are starting to show their age. Despite this caveat I would still buy them. You might want to buy a couple and decide for yourself. I have lots of the Great Endeavor releases of the Houston's ships though no way to provide photos. They paint up nicely for gaming.

Al

The Monstrous Jake09 Dec 2011 2:57 a.m. PST

I have a bunch of them in the photo galleries on my web site:

link
link
link
link
link

I'm in the middle of painting up another batch of Houston's Ships and will post photos one of these months.

afilter20 Jan 2012 10:36 a.m. PST

I will say that the Houston ships are very impressive at first look, but for the size they seem to lack some detail IMO.

A game club I usually play with at CONS has a complete set of Houston ships for RJW. The issue I have with them is that for most rule sets you almost have to double the game scale with Pre-dreads due to the fact that the ships are so big.

We use Naval Thunder Rise of the Battleship and because gunnery ranges are so short during this period we usually find that the ships are overlapping many times in the course of a battle unless you double the gaming scale which takes up alot of room.

As a result for my personal collection I opted to go with Pnzershiffe 1/2400 scale and then added masts. IMO they are mini versions of what Houston offers and are much easier to transport and game with at home at a fraction of the cost.

you can see some of my SPAN-AM ships in these two posts.

link

link

HTH,

Aaron

CorporalTrim Inactive Member21 Jan 2012 9:48 a.m. PST

Somehow I overlooked this thread until Aaron revived it. HesseCassel has probably already gotten his ships or decided not to, but just in case – yes, I have painted a few.

Previous posters have hit the main points. Some casting flaws are to be expected and the accuracy is variable. Certain features are exaggerated such as the funnels. To my eyes one of the more noticeable flaws is the low freeboard on many of the models (I shimmed the waterline of the Iowa in the picture). Still, I like them regardless of their flaws.

Regards,
Steve

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2012 6:09 a.m. PST

Been working on a few of them, here:

link

Sample here:

picture

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.