Help support TMP

"6mm painting/paints?" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

528 hits since 1 Dec 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Jonnathon01 Dec 2011 1:26 p.m. PST

For 6mm figures (Orcs, Goblins,etc) is there a certain type of paint that is better because of the size factor. Should we use a primer first? Is it better to base first then paint? Any tips on paint and / or tips are welcome

Project Vehemence Supporting Member of TMP01 Dec 2011 1:35 p.m. PST

Hi, when I paint 6mm I stick them to lenghts of balsa (or lollipop sticks) in strips, easier than trying to hold them and paint. For primer/undercoat I use black paint and by hand, dont try spray cans as they make a real mess of detail unless you are really skilled in spray cans.

Also dont try and paint as such (draging your brush along) try just using blobs, dab the paint on, hard to explain, like you would paint an eye on a 28mm model, paint on the tip of your brush.

Some of my 6mm work can be found here – link

Hope this helps

Scale Creep Miniatures Inactive Member01 Dec 2011 1:53 p.m. PST

Check out the Baccus6mm.com web site. Loads of great painting tips and tutorials there.

Angel Barracks01 Dec 2011 2:03 p.m. PST

Oooh.

Prime.
Paint.
Base.

Normal paints and brushes.

Join the 6mm forum and ask the experts:

angelbarracks.forumup.com

Michael.

NoBodyLovesMe Inactive Member01 Dec 2011 2:26 p.m. PST

I use a medium/dark grey primer as this does not mute the colours quite as much imo.

Like Vehemence I usually stick the figures to lolly sticks for painting. You can stick them to bases as long as they are fairly spread out, giving you room to paint the sides of the figure.

Any good acrylic paint range will do you, Vallejo are probably the most popular although I personally use mostly Cost d'arms as I prefer the flip lid tops.

One last thing, there is no need to use tiny weeny brushes either, a decent point sable 0 or even 1 will do for most things, with a 00 for detail.

MajorB01 Dec 2011 3:14 p.m. PST

What Angel B said.

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2011 2:58 a.m. PST

I used to base then paint, but these days I usually put them on temporary bases.

clean up
temporary bases (card strips 12" long)
undercoat (ie spray black)
paint away in my usual sloppy heavy drybrush, inkwash, highlight style
varnish
base

as above, you don't need teeny weeny brushes as you are only picking out the details, drybrushing and washes go a long way on deeply sculpted figures. I just use regular acrylics.

2mm is a bit more tricky as the painting is very impressionistic at that scale.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.