Help support TMP

"Ju 52/3m Crete campaign splinter colors?" Topic

2 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Painting Guides Message Board

762 hits since 27 Oct 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pajaro Muerto27 Oct 2011 4:17 p.m. PST

Good day!

At last I've decided to start on my GHQ Ju 52/3m's, and am planning to paint two in the spectacular 1941 Crete campaign splinter camo shown here:

wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/t/220/2/2#41

The dark green is RLM 70 Schwarzgrün, but I'm just not sure of the other two, the light green and the grey. I read somewhere once that the COULD be RLM 62 and 63. The grey could also be RLM 02, in my opinion.

I'll appreciate any input on this from for color-erudite modellers. If there's no definitive info, I'll have to paint them however well I feel like ;)

Rolando

Killer Woobie27 Oct 2011 8:57 p.m. PST

That certainly is a very interesting paint scheme, although it is poorly presented by the artist. The problem with wings palette is that they display any colour artwork they can find – the good, the bad, and the very very ugly. You need a whole mine full of salt (and better references for verification) when you go there. The two darker colours are the standard 71/02 splinter scheme. The light colour is not grey but white. It's a winter cammo scheme. Not Crete I'm afraid.

I've got 2 of those GHQ beauties in queue for the workbench. One is going to be converted into the floatplane version and the other is going to be painted in winter cammo.

picture

YouTube link

cheers

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.