Help support TMP

"Pulp/VSF for 50-100 figures" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. Message Board

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

529 hits since 15 Aug 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Cyclops16 Aug 2011 11:48 a.m. PST

Meant to crosspost this from Pulp Gaming to VSF and Gaslight but something's gone a bit wrong, Anyway-
Anyone know of a set of rules for large skirmish games for pulp or VSF? I don't own any rules that cover this so I'm starting blind. I'd expect to have 2-4 characters and 50-100 troops per side.
I was considering usng Through the Mud and the Blood from Two Fat Lardies or Legends of the Old West with the Alamo supplement. I've heard of Gaslight and We Can Be Heroes but have never played them. Read a few reviews and they both look good but I don't know how many figures they can handle.

the Gorb Inactive Member16 Aug 2011 12:09 p.m. PST

Units in "G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T." generally consist of ten figures led by one or more Main Characters. Generally one to three units per player.

"Battles By G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T." is designed for larger numbers of figures so that a player can control four or more units each led by a Main Character which are in turn led by an overall Army Commander.

Both play easily and are a lot of fun.

Regards, the Gorb

DrVesuvius16 Aug 2011 12:43 p.m. PST

Yep, I think GASLIGHT could handle it. Although the creators usually quote one Main Character, one vehicle and one unit of troops per player as manageable, I think that's really aimed at large multiplayer convention-style games, where not all players will be experienced. In a regular game with players who know what they're doing I think you could easily manage 5-10 units + MCs per side, without needing to resort to the Battles version of the rules (which is more of a brigade level game than a skirmish) though you might find things starting to creak a bit when you hit the top of that range.

As an alternative, you might want to look at FUBAR, a free one-page modern/sci-fi ruleset with a VSF supplement that seems to be gaining some traction.
link

Personal logo BrigadeGames Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Aug 2011 1:06 p.m. PST

Gaslight

Parroom VSF

Triumph & Tragedy

Contemptible Little Armies / In the Heart of Africa

Really depends on the abilities you have and of course if the game mechanics are usable for games with 50-100 per side.

We carry them all.

Colonel Hairy Haggis Inactive Member16 Aug 2011 7:12 p.m. PST

The SWORD And The FLAME (TSATF) rules can cover any period.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.