Help support TMP

"Allan Mallinson's 'On His Majesty's Service'" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

853 hits since 20 Jun 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2011 3:19 p.m. PST

Well, just finished the eleventh, and latest in the Matthew Hervey series, and once again Horse Guards frustrates Matthew's ambitions (or do they?). Once again he is on detached service from the 6th Light Dragoons, but accompanied by his groom and a coverman, as well as Capt Fairbrother of the Cape Mounted Rifles.

A great read as expected, full of period detail as well as adventure, and not too much romance etc this time. A hint of intrigue and 'the great game' as Princess Lieven, the Russian Ambassadress, takes an interest in his mission…

The action is mainly set in the Balkans,1828, and culminates at the Battle of Kalewtscha, at which Matthew is an 'observer'….

Gripping stuff, recommend it to all horse and musket buffs, and of particular interest for being in the period between the Napoleonic Wars and the Crimea.

Napoleonic Beginner09 Jul 2011 8:27 a.m. PST

Hello there Sparker.
I read the first of the series "close run thing" (?) The waterloo one anyway- and thought it was good fun, and a nice change from the BC Sharpe type main character.
I haven't carried on with them, simply because I have taken a break from the fictional stuff and concentrated on the non fiction.
I shall have to check out the next one on from the one I read when I get chance, thanks for the mini review and reminding me of an otherwise forgotten entertaining little gem.
Cheers-
NB

Aubrey28 Sep 2011 8:03 a.m. PST

I'm currently working my way through the Allan Mallinson books that my local libray has. I'm on my fourth one now and have really enjoyed them. I particularly like the extraordinary detail that Mallinson goes into on Napoleonic Cavalry not just on campaign but back in barracks. Not a subject I'm familiar with but he seems to know his stuff.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.