Help support TMP

"Wargaming in History Vol. IV" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Media Message Board

1,563 hits since 23 Apr 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Louisbourg Grenadiers Inactive Member23 Apr 2011 8:10 a.m. PST

From the Ken Trotman Web Page

J002.GRANT (Charles with Charlie & Natasha) WARGAMING IN HISTORY VOLUME 4: THE SEVEN YEARS' WAR HASTENBECK, ROSSBACH AND LEUTHEN. Slightly advanced information but the book is written, the battles all fought and we wait on Henry's time to put it all together hopefully available this summer (which may mean Volume 5 is out by the end of the year). All to the same informative. beautiful style & excellence. The only change this time is that Charles has teemed up with his son and daughter to deal with at least two of the most significant of 7 Years War battles.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Apr 2011 10:05 a.m. PST

I am looking forward to seeing how CSG makes a decent wargame out of the Rossbach scenario. That has always been a bit of a challenge for me and so it is a battle that I have not attempted to refight. Looking forward to seeing this next volume.

waaslandwarrior23 Apr 2011 2:20 p.m. PST

I'm also looking forward to this new book. Vol 1&2 are excellent!
I don't own vol 3, not a ACW fan…

Personal logo Tango 2 3 Ditto Supporting Member of TMP25 Apr 2011 5:05 a.m. PST

As in Charles Grant?

?
--
Tim

battleeditor Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Apr 2011 5:21 a.m. PST

@ Ditto

Brigadier (Ret'd) Charles Stewart Grant, son of the late Charles Grant, author of The War Game.

C S Grant is famous for the Table Top Teasers, which ran in Battle magazine, Practical Wargamer and then for 24 issues of Battlegames.

Henry
Battlegames
battlegames.co.uk

Prince Lupus25 Apr 2011 6:56 a.m. PST

D.A.F – we had a interesting game of Rossbach (using Volley and Bayonet) which worked well because the French commander did not know the battle. Once his first column had been overrun he made a better fight of it than Soubise et al.

The Prussians first two moves were allowed to be "double" which in VnB is a long way. It surprised Soubise anyway who thought he had successfully outflanked the lazy bluecoats.

Louisbourg Grenadiers Inactive Member22 Jul 2011 8:35 p.m. PST

Book Cover Picture is out

link

cheers

Stavka22 Jul 2011 8:54 p.m. PST

Just placed an order. I really enjoyed Vol. 1 and 2 in this wonderful series.

Having recently gamed a "Rossbach light" scenario, I'm looking forward to seeing the author's take on this battle.

Louisbourg Grenadiers Inactive Member23 Jul 2011 6:10 p.m. PST

Hastenbeck is my fav battle of the mid 18th C period.

-Both sides could of won
-The loser could of won and the winner thought he lose
-A daring flank attack with grenadiers and famous old regiments of France: Picardie, Navarre and la Marine

The Fusilier Brigade Inactive Member25 Jul 2011 6:31 a.m. PST

Do they use the rules from 'The Wargame' in these books?

battleeditor Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jul 2011 5:20 a.m. PST

@ The Fusilier Brigade

The rules are actually irrelevant, since Charles is refighting historical encounters and descibing them in a way that will allow anyone to reproduce them, regardless of the ruleset. But yes, Charles himself still uses a variant of the original rules published in "The War Game" by his father, with the updates described in his book "the War Game Companion" published by Ken Trotman a couple of years ago, see link

Henry
Battlegames
battlegames.co.uk

molesworth Inactive Member26 Jul 2011 6:45 a.m. PST

My copy arrived today!!!!!! Gorgeous photos!

Regiment de la Marine Inactive Member01 Aug 2011 11:57 a.m. PST

Ordered mine on Friday passed, can't wait.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.