Help support TMP

"Matte Top Coats?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

851 hits since 3 Feb 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo vojvoda Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Feb 2011 2:20 p.m. PST

Trying to get back into painting and the only hobby shop for miles (hobby Lobby) has only two types of matte finish.

The first is Createx Airbrush colours Matte Top Coat

and the second is Modelers Master (testors) Flat Clear Acryl.

I have never used either of these any recommdations? I do have a Walmart and figured I would check there on the way home today.
VR
James Mattes

Mike G03 Feb 2011 2:26 p.m. PST

I really like Model Master Dullcote. It does not matter is it is gloss or semi-gloss, put a coat of Dullcote and you have flat paint. With the 40% off coupon that Hobby Lobby puts in their ad every other week, available online, it is fairly cheap.

Mike

Mike G03 Feb 2011 2:28 p.m. PST

I should add I like Model Masters paint. You should check out the craft paint section at Hobby Lobby, there are a lot of options also.

Mike

Personal logo vojvoda Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Feb 2011 2:58 p.m. PST

I forgot about the flyers! Hobby Lobby is always got something on sale.
VR
James Mattes

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP03 Feb 2011 3:05 p.m. PST

Dullcote spray here, too.

Nathaniel03 Feb 2011 3:39 p.m. PST

If you're willing to brush on, matte Mod Podge has been used quite successfully by miniaturists outside of wargaming for a long, long time. It should be in the craft section at Walmart. You wan't the matte and no other type (though it would be funny if you grabbed a glossy one with sparkles in it or something).

The Model Masters Flat Clear Acryl is a bit closer to a satin than a matte. It's not as matte as their Lacquer based Matte or their Dull Coat spray, but it works.

link

Also at Walmart you might find spray cans of Krylon Low Odor Matte spray. This stuff is excellent if you're looking for a spray paint sealer and not a brush on.

Jovian1 Inactive Member03 Feb 2011 4:55 p.m. PST

Model Master Flat Clear Acryl is very similar to Dullcote rattle cans as a finish – if done correctly it is identical to my eye.

Nathaniel03 Feb 2011 7:24 p.m. PST

It must have been put on too thick to become a satin. Or the bottle was not mixed up and all the matte agent was not evenly distributed throughout the varnish-- I've had that happen to me before.

As for my earlier idea about Modge Podge Matte. It's entirely possible that it doesn't dry completely and remains semi tacky. I haven't used it for the absolute final coat myself, so I can't say. It is excellent as a terrain/basing adhesive though.

Evil Bobs Miniature Painting03 Feb 2011 9:05 p.m. PST

Krylon Matte works swell also.

Andrew Beasley Inactive Member05 Feb 2011 7:28 a.m. PST

Do not let it get cold – I've had two tins (GW / W&N) both go gloss on me after the hard winter here!

Never seen this before and they are recent purchases that where fine at the end of last year…

Andrew
Main site: blog.kings-sleep.me.uk

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.