Help support TMP

"Interesting F4F Wildcat schemes" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Painting Guides Message Board

1,079 hits since 10 Dec 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pajaro Muerto11 Dec 2010 12:07 a.m. PST

I'm looking for interesting and maybe colorful Wildcats to paint other that plain Blue-gray with insignias and black or white tiny numbers. I plan to do them for the 1941-early 1943 period, so no red outlined insignias and no three-color or Atlantic schemes.

Any suggestions?

Already did VMF-224 Maj. Robert E. Galer's mount:
wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/3/0/7

…and Colonel H. W. Bauer's of VMF-212:
wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/3/0/61

…and I think I ran outta colored nacelles :)

Rolando

Personal logo zippyfusenet Supporting Member of TMP11 Dec 2010 8:26 a.m. PST

From what I've seen, USN and USMC aircraft in the PTO during WWII stuck to plain, regulation paint schemes.

Wildcats used in operation Torch had yellow surrounds to their national insignia, and these were often over-sized. But you indicate you want PTO schemes:

wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/3/0/2

In early 1942 and including the battle of the Coral Sea, Navy planes kept the red centers in their national insignia, and often carried rudder stripes:

wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/3/1/51

Personal logo zippyfusenet Supporting Member of TMP11 Dec 2010 8:33 a.m. PST

Here's another with rudder stripes, Jimmy Thach's personal mount. Note no star insignia under left wing stars only on upper left and lower right wings:

wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/3/1/6_b1

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.