Help support TMP

"Mexican war of liberation 1807-1821 anyone? " Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

835 hits since 7 Oct 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Travellera07 Oct 2010 10:35 p.m. PST

Can anyone give advice on Spanish uniforms in Mexico during the independence struggle in Mexico 1807-1821. It is tempting to use Spanish Napoleonic figures but maybe they would be incorrect?

summerfield08 Oct 2010 4:17 a.m. PST

Dear Sir
You would want to use late Spanish Napoleonic Figures post 1815. The shakos became more bell shaped (like the French) rather than the stovepipe shakos. There are a number of Bueno books on the subject.

Stephen

Procopius Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 5:00 a.m. PST

Would the Mexican uniforms have been the same as for Argentina/Bolivia etc during the same era? I picked up some Mike Broadbent South American liberation wars figures at MOAB last weekend. I'm hoping to do a South American army or two in the near future.

If you're interested, I could take some pics of the (bare) figs and post them somewhere.

Cheers,

Glynn

Travellera08 Oct 2010 6:50 a.m. PST

Stephen/Glynn, many thanks for your comments. Can you direct me to some titles of the Bueno books mentioned?

Any pictures of miniatures would be very nice. Who is the manufacturer of the ones you have? any URL?

Could maybe Perry Isabelino infantry for the Carlist wars work?

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 7:45 a.m. PST

"Can you direct me to some titles of the Bueno books mentioned?"

Good question. I have a number of his, and none address that conflict. The closest would be "Uniformes Militares Espanoles: Tropas Virreynales (I) Nueva Espana, Yucatan y Luisiana", but it cuts off far too early. Likewise his "El Ejército y la Armada en 1808" and "Uniformes Españoles de la Guerra de Independencia".

The figure range Glynn mentions is John Fletcher's Grenadier Productions:

grenadierproductions.com

They are excellent.

Allen

Travellera08 Oct 2010 9:38 a.m. PST

Thanks Allen,

seems the search has to continue…

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 9:53 a.m. PST

You're looking for 25/28s?

Allen

SJDonovan08 Oct 2010 9:55 a.m. PST

I don't know anything about the conflict so apologies if this proves to be less than helpful but you may find some uniform details here: link

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 10:12 a.m. PST

Oh, that's very good for Spain, 1815-1823, which covers most of the War of Liberation.

Allen

Travellera08 Oct 2010 11:07 a.m. PST

"You're looking for 25/28s?"

Yep

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 12:42 p.m. PST

It is possible to do Royalist forces in the Americas in 28mm by careful selection. For example, these are all (I think) Front Rank Napoleonic figures, "morphed" for the South American campaigns:

link

It would be a matter of identifying the regular regiments present (easier to model), and then supplementing them with the local Royalist forces (harder for North America; but presidiales, for example, should be avaiable from Mexican-American War ranges).

Allen

Travellera08 Oct 2010 1:54 p.m. PST

Allen, thanks for the link. It seems bell-top shakos is the way to go. I wonder where it would be possible to find a list of Spanish regiments that served in Mexico to give it some historical flavour

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member08 Oct 2010 3:47 p.m. PST

I don't know. There are a couple of good studies on the Bourbon army in Nueva Espana before the Napoleonic Wars: Velasquez and Archer. But they only cover up to 1808 and 1810, respectively, so just get you to the Hidalgo Revolt.

If anyone knows of any references for the next deacde, that would be very useful.

Allen

Travellera09 Oct 2010 2:42 a.m. PST

Picked up some references on the Axis history forum regarding regiments who went to Mexico:

-Regimiento del Infante número 5, nicknamed "El Augusto" (The August): 1815-1819: War of Mexico (the regiment took part in the battle of Huanajuato)

-Regimiento de Saboya número 6, nicknamed "El Terror de los Franceses" (The Terror of the Frenchmen): War in Mexico: (1813-1821): Battles in Hayotlán, Chilacoyoapán, Medellín, Cerro Cogote de Hagiaco, San Pedro, San Juan Pass, and Sonora.

-Murcia Regiment was transferred to Mexico after the Napoleonic War and became 1st Americano Regiment

Personal logo Florida Tory Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2010 7:07 a.m. PST

The book by Antonio Manzano Lahoz and Luis Gravalos Gonzalez, "Los Uniformes del Estado Militar de Espana del Ano 1815" will give you a lot of what you are seeking. The book lists orders of battle and uniforms for the Spanish and Spanish colonial troops, including Nueva Espana, Goatemala, Yucatan, Cuba, the Floridas, and Puerto Rico as of 1815. (South America and the Philippines are also covered, for anyone interested in those areas, as is the Spanish homeland itself.) There is also a selection of uniforms depicted in color plates. I ordered my copy about 3 years ago from a Spanish hobby store that provided mail order service to the US.

Most of the regiments and companies had blue coats by 1815, but a reasonably sized fraction still had the older white uniforms, so you have a wide variety of casting choices you can use. I've got the Luisiana and Habana regiments in white coats and bicornes myself, and the Zaragoza regiment in blue coats and shakos.

Rick

Corkonian Inactive Member27 Apr 2011 5:39 a.m. PST

Would bell-topped shakoes have existed in the earlier, Hidalgo Revolt, period? I have a picture of a Spanish infantryman of the "Batallon de Lovera" in 1812, just arrived in Veracruz, clad in a blue coat faced red, and a bell-topped shako (looking rather French, in fact) accompanied by a Spanish caption suggesting that the "Napoleonic look" reached Mexico only with these troops.

So would cocked hats and longer-tailed coats have been the norm up till then? I have also some pictures of Mexican troops in blue coats and round hats that seem to hail from this period. These are apparently local militia rather than metroplitan Spanish units.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.