Help support TMP

"AMPW Seleucid Chariot" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

1,077 hits since 20 Jul 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo RelliK Sponsoring Member of TMP20 Jul 2010 8:25 a.m. PST

Currently designing a Seleucid Chariot.

Was wanting some opinion of the size and proportions of the Scythed Chariot listed in Armies of the Macedonian and Punic wars book.

It looks as though the chariot wheels would be larger than a typical mans hight. Taking the yoke into account.

Seams to me then that the box and charriot would be monstrous.

The scythed chariots in the Alexander film were two horse and allot smaller???

Any thoughts/opinions on this topic would be greatly appreciated, as I am building one too.

Mike

John GrahamLeigh Supporting Member of TMP20 Jul 2010 8:50 a.m. PST

Ask on the Ancmed Yahoo group at link and Duncan Head or Jim Webster will answer. Between them those two know everything possible about Hellenistic warfare (and of course Duncan wrote the AMPW book).

Personal logo Swampster Supporting Member of TMP20 Jul 2010 11:05 a.m. PST

The chariot is pretty well a copy of the ones in the Oxus treasure and/or the Alexander mosaic. These are obviously two man transport chariots so the scythed chariots may have been different.
However, the size of the chariot would presumably be an advantage if you wanted them hurtling into the enemy. They were probably quite high as one account mentions downward pointing scythes. For the Persian ones Curtius uses 'quadriga' and Diodorus's description mentions trace horses which is why they are shown as 4 horse.
I can't remember if there is anything else mentioned about Seleucid ones in, say, the Daphnae parade or 1 or 2 Maccabees.

JJartist20 Jul 2010 10:05 p.m. PST

I decided to post this here to pass on the links….

I think ancmed is the place to get answers, beyond what is in AMPW.

Some tangible reference is the Oxus gold chariot:

link

Others will talk about Babylonian chariots.

Xenophon says the Persian scythed cahriots were derived from the Medes…..

who probably got them at Babylon….

Biga or quadriga… could be both.

Seleucid coin:

picture

Good luck

Personal logo RelliK Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Jul 2010 9:40 a.m. PST

Comparing the two images, I'd probably make the chariots wheel size in between. Looks like the hight of the chariot wheel is about 75% the hight of a man to at par.

Thanks JJ.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.