Help support TMP

"6mm Blackpowder ACW game Gallery" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Italian Wargaming Message Board

Back to the ACW Gallery Message Board

902 hits since 3 Jul 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

kehanubaal03 Jul 2010 8:50 a.m. PST

Hi all.
My friend and I played a little game using Blackpowder with our 6mm armies. We used the scenario from Long Road North.
Had a great fun. Check the pics at link
Let me know what you think.
If you click in a picture, then select "formati disponibili" on the right side menu, you can get the bigger size file.
ciao,
Vezio

Lapsed Pacifist Inactive Member03 Jul 2010 9:00 a.m. PST

Nice looking game! Especially like the buildings, what size table did you use? Did you have to alter ranges?

kehanubaal03 Jul 2010 9:34 a.m. PST

I used a 6'x4' table and used cm's instead of inches for ranges and moves. It worked smoothly. Each turn was 20 minutes and one inch was aabout 50 ards, just like Johnny Reb or Piquet we used previously. Each unit was a regiment.
Probably we should tune better the special rules, but it went ok. We allowed all unit to skimish. Movement in woods was half move for formed units, no penalties for skirmishers. Reb veterans had fearsome charge. Yankee vet had first fire, like the artys. Raw and green had freshly formes and unreliable, but it was very hard to get the green and raw brigades moving. We ruled that average generals had 7 CR, good 8, amazing (Jackson) 9… 10 we felt should be reserved for the geniuses like Lee, Grant, Napoleon , Wellington.
We had brigade, division and corps commanders.

kehanubaal03 Jul 2010 9:38 a.m. PST

What I felt a bit odd were the portable arms ranges. There is not much diference between Rifles and Muskets. Also the lack of penalty for long range fire, or the unlimited ammos would make for long range firefight, while, from my reading, that was not the doctrine, even if the weapons would allow it. Also the other problem we found (If you want to be picky, because the game is good fun, I love it), was that teh turn sequence and the fire ranges reward an offensive style of play, while probably that shouldn't be the case for ACW, where the weapons and the terrain favoured the defenders.

We will play again though.

Personal logo Angel Barracks Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Jul 2010 9:52 a.m. PST

That looks really sweet.
You should share this and more on teh 6mm forum:

link

Stern Rake Studio Supporting Member of TMP05 Jul 2010 4:58 a.m. PST

Great looking figures and terrain! Thanks for posting.

Ted

Bottom Dollar Inactive Member06 Jul 2010 4:43 p.m. PST

Cool table.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.