Help support TMP

"Who do ancient Indians?" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Product Reviews Message Board

2,671 hits since 1 Jun 2010
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Lovstrom01 Jun 2010 5:44 a.m. PST

Hello
Im looking for figures of ancient Indians.
As oponents to a Alexandrian macedonian army.
28mm figs.
Is there someone that do them?
Sven

SMPress Inactive Member01 Jun 2010 5:53 a.m. PST

I have some at sgmm.biz, but I dont have pictures up yet. They are Vendel figures, you can see some pictures at their site. I will have pics in the next three weeks, still trying to get the line photographed…

Paul Y Inactive Member01 Jun 2010 6:35 a.m. PST

1st Corps do a range:
link

Essex and Old Glory also do Indians – displayed to good effect here:
link
Cheers,
Paul.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP01 Jun 2010 7:17 a.m. PST

Ironically, the Vendel Indians are supposed to be very nice figs.

Doug

JJartist01 Jun 2010 10:05 a.m. PST

Vendel figures are very large 28mm. Their models in the Indian range are good to average. They suffer from a standard pose system. I dislike the cowlike stance of the Vendel elephants.

Newline Designs does a nice range in larger 28mm scale as well, better than Vendel in my opinion. Newline's elephant are more static and have overly thick trunks, other than that they are nice models.

Old Glory are nice and work with the above and 1st Corps (which are smaller).
The older 1st Corps elephant was not too convincing, I'm not sure if they have been revised. The new 1st Corps Successor elephants are gargantuan.

Old Glory elephants are cheap and have good details on the crews and equipment, the elephants are a bit un-inspiring, but cheap!!

Here is a shot of some Old Glory 1st Corps and Newline Designs combined:

link

JJ

bendsinister Inactive Member01 Jun 2010 10:19 a.m. PST

I like the Vendel figures, they sure are chunky though!
Here's some pics of my Tamils on the Fanticus site. I hasten to add the figures were bought when the Pattens owned Vendel.

link

Si

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP01 Jun 2010 10:33 a.m. PST

I've some Vendels, too; not brilliant minis IHMO, but not bad either. I'm not a fan of their horses, though.

Simon

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP01 Jun 2010 11:00 a.m. PST

Those who pine for the days when 25mm figures actually fit on WRG and DBM bases might want to consider RAFM.
My Indians are Hinchliffe, Lamming, RAFM, Minifigs, Essex and Der Kriegspielers. With some Garrison Khmer elephants thrown in for good measure.

All Old School, and all more or less "true 25mm".

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP01 Jun 2010 12:11 p.m. PST

I had an OG Indian army. Not a lot of variety to the poses, but it looked good when painted up.

JJartist01 Jun 2010 1:51 p.m. PST

Oh yeah I finally looked.. the 1st Corps elephants are better in the worst way than their previous models….
JJ

altfritz01 Jun 2010 2:33 p.m. PST

Newline no longer does their Ancient Indians, unless I am mistaken.

JJartist01 Jun 2010 4:36 p.m. PST

SHQ lists them. I have not ordered any from them… sadly no range has ever gotten more lousy support from the original sculptor either in photos or attitude…. many of these figures are gems. The Indian chariots are some of the best available. The Indians had been just redone when the sculptor suddenly decided to stop production on 28 ancients and focus only on Biblical, again they are very nice, and I think six infantry in a bag for 4 eps is not outrageous.

link

JJ

Lovstrom01 Jun 2010 11:50 p.m. PST

Thankyou for your answers.
It would be interesting to try out Newline design butIm a bit put off with no pictures on the site.
I like the 1st corps elefant that is on JJs site.

Sven

colin knight02 Jun 2010 2:34 a.m. PST

MDS started a range. Not sure when new additions are coming but nice figures.

Come In Nighthawk03 Aug 2017 6:06 p.m. PST

Besides 1st Corps, after seven years, what companies are left in the "industry" who do Indians?

Caliban Inactive Member04 Aug 2017 1:58 a.m. PST

Irregular Miniatures:

link

aynsley683 Supporting Member of TMP04 Aug 2017 5:44 a.m. PST

I used a mix of old glory and 1st corps figures, seemed to mix well. Bought the OG on ebay cheaply then bought the 1st corps to mix in and they have much better elephants.

Vendel figs are very chunky and large and I think he's having issues at present and may even be closing down, could be wrong on that so check.

The Newline or SHQ range looks good as well but is nigh on impossible to find pictures on the web and they don't show any pictures on the site if you try to order them, which is not helpful at all.

Here are my C.Indians , as I said a mix of OG and 1st corps-
link
Temple came from a pet store for an aquarium, just touched up the painting on it a bit.

1ngram04 Aug 2017 2:22 p.m. PST

The 1st Corps figures are excellent especially their elephants.

Teklea201809 Aug 2017 1:32 a.m. PST

These are mine. Very similar in scale to Vendel.

theminiaturecompany.co.uk

HANS GRUBER09 Aug 2017 3:08 a.m. PST

Aventine have elephants and crew.

MingtheMad09 Aug 2017 5:11 p.m. PST

I have Tin Soldier. The newline ones made by SHQ are nice.

Irregular match these two.

Come In Nighthawk20 Aug 2017 4:35 a.m. PST

To be clearer than I was initially, I am not interested in 15s or 20s, only 28mm. E.G., if Newline ever did Indians in 28mm, I do not see anywhere on their site where they do still.

And no on makes Indians for the Vedic period? Neither the indigenous peoples, nor the "Aryan" invaders? Only for the "Classical" period?

colin knight20 Aug 2017 5:21 a.m. PST

The Newline Indians are sold to an American company. SHQ . Aventine have 2 amazing Indian elephants.
The Miniature Company linked above has some very nice stuff. Should paint up really well.

Beaumap30 Aug 2017 9:57 a.m. PST

OG and 1st Corps worked for me with a few Essex to complete units.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.