Help support TMP

"Best 15mm WSS/GNW figs and why" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

1,180 hits since 2 May 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

balticbattles03 May 2010 1:24 p.m. PST

I already have some unpainted, but have moved on from buying cheap bundle deals to looking for the best available.

So, what do you think is the best, and why?

Thanks!

anleiher Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2010 1:38 p.m. PST

My personal preference is Dixon. That said, I have also mixed some of the Roundway sets, like engineers, etc.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP03 May 2010 1:39 p.m. PST

Blue Moon is going to release those two very ranges along with FIW at historicon.
Russ Dunaway

Major William Martin RM Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2010 2:37 p.m. PST

highlandbevan;

You could do worse than checking out Steve-the-Wargamer's excellent blog on the WSS, all in 15/18mm.

link

Steve provides side-by-side comparisons of almost all of the currently-available ranges, as well as shots of his finished units using these figures.

BTW I have acquired some of Blue Moon's Pirate Captains and Civilian figures and, if these are anything to go by, their new WSS range will be very nice as well! The two sets mentioned provide several male figures (both in tricorne and earlier floppy hat), as well as several females, tables and chairs, and even a young boy for a manservant, quite useful for dioramas and vignettes just to add a bit of additional color to your Late 17th century and Early 18th century armies.

Bill
Sir William the Aged
warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Shagnasty03 May 2010 5:44 p.m. PST

#1- Dixon
#2- Roundway
#3- Essex

Titchmonster03 May 2010 5:54 p.m. PST

#1 Dixon
#2 Essex
#3 Black Hat

I also like the products available from Hallmark. The troops are not the best but they fit great with Dixon and they have tons of odds and ends that lend to great accessory units and vingnette stands.

Keraunos Inactive Member04 May 2010 2:32 a.m. PST

It would be nice to see some comparisons with the Venexia range.

link

Major William Martin RM Supporting Member of TMP04 May 2010 4:02 a.m. PST

Keraunos,

The Venexia range are not suitable for the WSS or the Later GNW. Their own advertising copy is a bit "contradictory" as in the title they state "Wars of Louis XIV, 1667 – 1697, Figures suitable for all armies of the period." while in the sidebar to the left they state:

"This range will allow you to refight: the Franco-Dutch War, the War of the League of Augsburg and the War of the Spanish Succession. Also suitable for the War of Devolution and the War of the Reunions."

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the coats are much too loose, the cuffs too high, and the hats are floppy; clearly fitting the bill for the advertised 1667 to 1697 period (although 1667 is really a bit early, they really should be about 1680 to 1697, but could be used for the Franco-Dutch Wars in a pinch). Also, for the GNW, there are no figures in pokalem and no Russian Grenadiers in their distinctive "bent mitre", so again, not really suitable.

That being said, there is a set of comparison shots of them with the appropriate LoA or Late 17th century ranges available here:

link

The grid in the background is 4mm square and they are compared with 6 other Late 17th century ranges and, in a couple of the shots, the very old Les Higgins range of true 20mm WSS figures for comparison. As you can see, in 15/18mm, they really only mix with Lancashire Games in terms of size, although they could easily mix with the Higgins 20's.

BTW – I apologize to regular reader's of the blog for not completing this project yet. I have acquired all of the figures, but "Life" reared it's ugly head and intervened in the process. I am starting to get things back to "normal" again and have begun painting again, so you will see the series completed.

Bill
Sir William the Aged

DinOfBattle204 May 2010 6:03 a.m. PST

Russ, can we see some pictures of the new ranges that will be released by Blue Moon?

Eric Burgess

Supercilius Maximus04 May 2010 7:07 a.m. PST

Dixon, Roundway, Minifigs and Essex will give you a pretty good spread of figures of roughly the same size. Hallmark, Editions Brokaw and Irregular are small 15s (the last two have very little detail on the figures, but do cover the more obscure Russian and Swedish types) are small; Venexia and Lancashire Games are large.

Hallmark and Museum Miniatures provide a brilliant mix of 15mm wagons, carts and accessories.

GoodBye Inactive Member04 May 2010 7:39 a.m. PST

Dixon with a Roundway mix.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP04 May 2010 10:20 a.m. PST

Pictures of all the ranges will cime up nearer historicon.
Russ Dunaway

Keraunos Inactive Member05 May 2010 2:23 a.m. PST

Thanks Bill,

very useful

mad monkey 1 Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2010 6:10 a.m. PST

I like Editions Brokaw. Easy to paint. And cheap. : )

Personal logo Colonel Bill Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2010 6:27 a.m. PST

I picked up some Roundways at Cold Wars and was very impressed. Otherwise I like Minifigs due to their accurate anatomy, and I gotta admit that though the Editions Brokow are true 15s and sparse on detail, they paint up REAL nice.

BTW, due to some sort of spat between the business partners, looks like Editions Brokow will not be with us much longer.

Regards, Bill Gray
ageofeagles.grouply.com

Major William Martin RM Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2010 9:44 p.m. PST

Colonel Bill;

Actually, hard to say exactly what will happen to the EB range. Here is Pat's comment from another thread:

"However, for better or worse the designer (Jim Brokaw) has pulled back the rights to the EB figure line and may produce them himself."

I also agree that the EB figures can actually be painted up to look quite well. I've compared them before to a 15mm equivalent to Spencer-Smith or Hinton-Hunt figures. They have enough detail to tell what they are and to recognize national differences, but you can paint on or leave off as much additional detail as you wish. They are quite effective en masse and make for very colorful and inexpensive armies.

Ross;

Any chance that Blue Moon will venture into the earlier LoA period, 1780-1690? Even though we currently have 7 maker's with some figures in production and 2 more with production halted, many of these are "dated" and a new range would (IMHO) do quite well. This would be especially true if they were done with the same level of detail and animation as the new Pirate figures.

Bill
Sir William the Aged

balticbattles07 May 2010 1:08 p.m. PST

Bill,

Thanks very much for the site, an excellent resource.

Looks like Dixon gets most people's vote so I may start looking there. I'll probably evebtually get several manufacturers for variation.

Hans Landa Inactive Member08 May 2010 10:43 p.m. PST

I have 41 battalions of French all Dixon miniatures.
Mate at our club as a mixture of Dixon and Warrior miniatures and they mix in well.

Major William Martin RM Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2010 5:40 a.m. PST

Hebburn Jon;

"Mate at our club as a mixture of Dixon and Warrior miniatures and they mix in well."

Indeed, Dixon do an excellent range for the period and very complete. As to Warrior, I've long thought they were excellent value and provide a very well-animated figure that also paints well. I am curious though, does your "Mate" not find the later SYW uniform with turnbacks a bit of an odd fit for the WSS? Steve-the-Wargamer has an excellent comparison shot of Minifig, Dixon, Warrior, Roundway and Black Hat here:

picture

Bill
Sir William the Aged

Major William Martin RM Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2010 5:57 a.m. PST

Old Glory (Ross);

In my earlier question to you:

"Any chance that Blue Moon will venture into the earlier LoA period, 1780-1690? Even though we currently have 7 maker's with some figures in production and 2 more with production halted, many of these are "dated" and a new range would (IMHO) do quite well. This would be especially true if they were done with the same level of detail and animation as the new Pirate figures."

Obviously the time period mentioned should have been 1680-1690. So, any such plans? It would require but a few figures, and actually the Prussian Guards during the WSS did wear a round, floppy hat (not a tricorne). With well-supported newer rule sets like BLB, Black Powder and the recently-released expansions to Impetus, "le Roi Soliel" and "Basic Baroque" there is a market for a well-animated range in 15mm. While many will play these games in 28mm, 15's provide the scale and scope to game the larger battles of the period and would (IMHO) be very welcome.

Bill
Sir William the Aged

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.