Help support TMP

"To do or not to do - piping on Grenadiers/Panzergrenadiers?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

951 hits since 6 Apr 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Warboss Nick07 Apr 2010 1:16 p.m. PST

I just finished my first squad of 28mm Germans for Normandy which I intend to use both as Grenadiers and motorized Panzergrenadiers depending on the scenario (with extra MGs and vehicles for the Panzergrenadiers of course). The big question now is, should I paint piping on them despite the differing Waffenfarbe and if yes which? White looks good (I used a very light grey) but I did not get Wiesengruen to look good (USA uniform did not stand out enough and snot green looked odd).

I am sure that I am not the only one using "dual purpose" German infantry, so how does everyone else deal with this problem?

Cheers,

Nick.

christot07 Apr 2010 1:21 p.m. PST

Do what you like….go on…live a little!

donlowry07 Apr 2010 1:48 p.m. PST

You could repaint the piping each time they change units.

Beowulf Fezian07 Apr 2010 2:40 p.m. PST

I'd use the white waffenfarbe.

Personal logo Striker Supporting Member of TMP07 Apr 2010 3:29 p.m. PST

You could repaint the piping each time they change units.

To make it really fun you could clip off the molded tabs and scratchbuild ones with different colors. I'd go with white and leave them as that. When I've painted the piping, depending on the mfg, it can be a close call because the tabs vary in size and detail. Some, like BTD, have pretty substantial detail so it's easier to do it, for me at least.

Pat Ripley Fezian Inactive Member07 Apr 2010 3:36 p.m. PST

magnetize the tabs

Personal logo Pizzagrenadier Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Apr 2010 6:29 p.m. PST

I encountered this as well.

My solution would probably not work for you though, as it seems you probably have a large number of models with shouldter litzen. I used as many smocks and zelts in my squads as I could and when it came to the few models I had with shoulder litzen, I painted those up in grass green (GW Goblin Green actually looks spot on) and only used them in panzergrenadier squads. This requires a few extra models per squad to make up the difference in variations, but it did allow me to field two different platoons with the same models and still have the right color.

What you might want to do is just paint them white and not worry about it…and if you are using them against the Soviets, they can be Grossdeutschland who never changed their waffenfarbe even after they turned into panzergrenadier units.

I think the squad structure I have is an NCO with smock (hoodless), LMG teams in either hooded smocks (tan & water) or zelts (this allows me to use them in both formations) and only a few of the riflemen in each squad in tunics with green waffenfarbe with the repeated models in white to swap out. There might be a few NCOs in tunics as well scattered through the platoon.

I use Artizan figs for these guys.

Smocks and zelts were common to all German Heer units (though less common for some over others) so the great thing about them is they can be used for anything…

Like I said though, if you have the majority of the platoon in tunics this might not be much of a help.

Keith

(religious bigot) Inactive Member08 Apr 2010 12:54 a.m. PST

Commission a pen manufacturer to run up a set of water-soluble highlighters in the appropriate shades. Then you can just apply over a white base.

BigFishSmallPond Inactive Member01 May 2010 5:11 p.m. PST

It was common practice to reverse the markings to avoid being identified by the enemy if they were expecting to fight.

Airborne Engineer Inactive Member04 Feb 2012 11:31 a.m. PST

Something I have considered is having a few removable figures on the bases. Mount two figures on a large washer and put a magnet into the base and finish the base so washers are interchangable. I was going to do it for swapping in flamethrowers, MGs, maybe even put the late war look figures on one washer and mid=war on the other and use the unit for both.

The water soluble idea could work but I would use high quality watercolors. Paint them white and then use green watercolors over the white and wash it off to switch back. I have used this with white watercolors to do temporary winter camoflage on armor.

Grizzlymc Inactive Member04 Feb 2012 2:20 p.m. PST

Not worth the effort in 3mm

By John 54 Supporting Member of TMP04 Feb 2012 2:34 p.m. PST

Then why bother posting.

Personal logo Pizzagrenadier Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Feb 2012 3:21 p.m. PST

Holy threadomancy! This was a two year old thread. I thought the title sounded familiar and then I saw my old post.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.