Help support TMP

"Perry plastic WotR as Warhammer Empire" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Medieval Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

2,122 hits since 10 Feb 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Albino Squirrel10 Feb 2010 9:42 a.m. PST

Today on my blog I've got a review and pictures of the Perry Miniatures plastic War of the Roses infantry set. My review is focused on using them as substitutes for Warhammer Fantasy Empire miniatures. I've included some size comparison photos.

link

To summarize, they are much skinnier than the Games Workshop Empire figures, with much smaller weapons. If you only use them in separate units, they'll probably look okay in a pinch. Especially if, like me, you really dislike the current Games Workshop Empire models. But their thick built-in bases, and size incompatibility which prevents doing conversions using Empire plastic components, means it's not really a great solution.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine Supporting Member of TMP10 Feb 2010 9:57 a.m. PST

Good article,
I would have used the Perry figures for Bretonia rather than the Empire though. I'd be tempted to use these guys for the Empire metal but compare favorably with the GW plastics price wise

link

I have a an idea to start replaying 3rd edition WFB and the perry's WOTR would be in with a shout for my human troops if I ever get the project of the ground.

Jon

Gattamalata10 Feb 2010 10:30 a.m. PST

The Perry WotR plastics go well with the Perry multi-part Empire figures from over 10 years ago (5th Edition), as you've shown picture , though the latter are slightly bulky, especially with the layers of slashed clothing, the heads wouldn't look out of place on either body, with some exceptions, but the arms are another matter. The GW arm with the longbow's from the Free-Company/Militia box, since the scale-creep began around their release, the hand does look over-sized in comparison with the WotR one and the Empire halberdier hands.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Feb 2010 11:23 a.m. PST

I'm going to be using mine as Brettonians. I don't like the new Brettonians and have a large Brettonian army from the 5th edition, so it will be getting brought out, dusted off and probably repainted to a large degree.

Gattamalata10 Feb 2010 12:08 p.m. PST

If one has any of the Citadel Imperial crossbowmen link , sculpted by Alan Perry and re-released as WotR crossbowmen by Foundry, the Perry plastics, though not as bulky, wouldn't look out of place next to them. Prior to all Empire troops having Landsknecht style clothing in 4th Edition, most had late 15th/early 16th Century garb and gear. link Some of these have also been re-released by Foundry.

mweaver Inactive Member10 Feb 2010 3:38 p.m. PST

I see them more as Bretonnians, although the thickness issue would obviously still be there.

Thanks for the article and pictures, AS.

Albino Squirrel10 Feb 2010 4:13 p.m. PST

Yes, I agree that they would fit in just as well stylistically with the Bretonnians as with Empire. But I don't play Bretonnians, so I didn't have any of them to compare with. I imagine it's easy enough for people who do play Bretonnians to extrapolate and draw that conclusion themselves, and the miniatures would probably compare similarly.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.