Help support TMP

"Was bedeutet Ruckkampfer?" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in Germany Message Board

741 hits since 5 Dec 2009
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ben Lacy Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2009 9:39 a.m. PST

Please forgive my use of English, but I am seeking a translation for Ruckkampfer, or perhaps Rückkampfer which was apparently a nickname given to German stragglers during July 1944 after the collapse of the 4th Army at Minsk. I believe the word for straggler is Der Nachzügler, but what then is the literal translation of Rückkampfer? Is it a struggle/fight to return or move? I can't find it in my dictionary. Thanks, Ben

borrible Inactive Member05 Dec 2009 9:43 a.m. PST
Ben Lacy Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2009 10:08 a.m. PST


tuscaloosa06 Dec 2009 8:04 a.m. PST

Hmm, we would never say "back strugglers"; I think stragglers is the best. "Those fighting to rejoin their unit" would be the most specific, if a bit cumbersome.

brucka06 Dec 2009 1:03 p.m. PST

Back-fighters. Does it specifically refer to them as Forlorn Hope (ordered to stay behind),, or as Straggler types trying to get back to German lines?

The G Dog Fezian06 Dec 2009 8:23 p.m. PST

Rear Guard?

I Jim I Inactive Member08 Jan 2010 9:11 p.m. PST

"Returned fighter(s)" might be a better literal translation for Rückkämpfer.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.