Help support TMP

"Japanese destroyer sinking photo I never saw before " Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Naval Gallery Message Board

1,348 hits since 11 Oct 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Nashville Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2009 9:23 a.m. PST

link

This is a photo I have never seen before, unlike all those stock photos we see all the time. Very interesting

TheDreadnought Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Oct 2009 9:44 a.m. PST

Wow. . . very dramatic.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian11 Oct 2009 10:19 a.m. PST

Ya… I have that in a book somewhere. I believe that is one of the Tachibana type late-war small destroyers – possibly Tachibana herself. Only two were sunk by aircraft.

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2009 10:23 a.m. PST

I have it in a book too – can't remember which one.

Mal Wright Fezian Inactive Member11 Oct 2009 11:23 a.m. PST

I've seen it before, but not usually as clear and crisp in detail.
The ship is not actually a destroyer. Its a Japanese Number 2 Type corvette or 'Kaikoban'. Only about half the size of a destroyer.

RudyNelson Inactive Member11 Oct 2009 3:53 p.m. PST

Have you seen the series of Pearl harbor photos found in a brownie camera that had never been released?

pmwalt Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2009 4:56 p.m. PST

The splashes in the water make it appear as if the aircraft hadn't finished working the sinking ship over.

Allen5711 Oct 2009 5:06 p.m. PST

What is that splash? An aerial torpedo hitting the water?

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian11 Oct 2009 5:11 p.m. PST

Probably more like a skip-bomb.

mandt2 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member11 Oct 2009 7:12 p.m. PST

So, you are lying on the side of your capsizing ship, hanging on for dear life, and what do you see? Another bomb being skipped in right at you. Whoo-boy.

Boo Hoo Inactive Member11 Oct 2009 8:28 p.m. PST

Whoa, dramatic – I've never seent his one before, thanks david.
--
Tim

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2009 7:45 a.m. PST

So, you are lying on the side of your capsizing ship, hanging on for dear life, and what do you see? Another bomb being skipped in right at you. Whoo-boy.

Well, it might bounce over… you could always hope.

WW2 was definitely not for sissies.
-Kle.

Tankrider12 Oct 2009 4:18 p.m. PST

Wonder if those marks were made by something flying OFF of the destroyer after an explosion or major steam release.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian12 Oct 2009 7:09 p.m. PST

Somewhere on Youtube there is a video showing real skip bombing – the patterns are very similar.

dagc54 Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2009 8:56 a.m. PST

Wow! Thanks for the photo. Those poor guys, I wonder if any of them survived?

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2009 1:06 p.m. PST

"Page not found"…..too bad.

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2009 5:15 a.m. PST

Wonder if those marks were made by something flying OFF of the destroyer after an explosion or major steam release.

The splashes seem to be going the wrong way for that.

If you look at the hull amidships, below where the funnel probably used to be, you can see damage from the previous skip bomb hit that sank it – almost blew a hole right through, by the looks of it.
-Kle.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.