Help support TMP

"NEW AWI RULES!" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Product Reviews Message Board

1,342 hits since 5 Oct 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

stew46a05 Oct 2009 1:34 p.m. PST

Well i guess the best upcoming AWI ruleset has got to be WASINGTON's ARMY from Peter Pig.
Hits the period with the right flavour and has amusing incidents in the pregame.
The initial figures in the range look good to.

Personal logo McKinstry Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Oct 2009 1:37 p.m. PST

Can you describe some of the basic mechanics?

Personal logo Bob in Edmonton Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2009 2:25 p.m. PST

I quite like the pre-game stuff in the other Peter Pig rules I've played (very beer and pretzels which is fun at the club).

I have been less taken with some of the mechanics (e.g., the use of hexes to plot movement on a non-hexed playing surface in their pirate rules).

What are the basic mechanics (command, movement, shooting, melee, morale) like?

Dave Gamer05 Oct 2009 3:15 p.m. PST

I don't know how he stew46a can say it's the best unless he's a playtester, since little has been said about it on the RFCM group.

My guess is most of the usual RFCM non-square based rules: Commanders roll to activate units then roll again to see how many command points can be spent on performing actions with the units. Buckets of dice combat system with save rolls – a lot of hits will be scored but a lot of saves will also be made. Figures will be based 3 to a 30mm square base (although the basing won't be critical). A pre-game "game" will take place where your army can gain\lose\delay units before the actual battle starts. Game will be able to be played on a 3'x5' table top. I will be interested in seeing just how many men a stand represents.

What I *am* interested in is the new line of 15mm AWI PP is making (a few are already for sale). PP figs always have character and some unusual types. For the AWI range, PP is making 3 over-arching types: Fresh troops with new uniforms, veterans with worn uniforms, and poorly dressed troops in tatters or non-regulation uniforms.

Dennis Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2009 7:42 p.m. PST

Dave's got the general idea (except regulars are 4 figs to a 30 x 30 base but it shouldn't be critical). Based on the WOR and ACW systems according to Martin. Lots of interesting ideas in the pre-battle activities including some stuff that is new, to me at least. Oh, and you won't see much on the RFCM group because there's a special group for the playtest.

A stand represents about 50-60 men, with a battalion at up to 7 stands. I'd say if you like RFCM rules you'll like Washington's Army, if not then not.

If you haven't seen the PP AWI figures in person yet, they're very nice. I've been doing 15mm AWI for years and Clib's 10mm AWI for Pendraken had me convinced to shift to his 10mm figures, but thanks to the new PPs I think I'll stay with the 15mms. None of the ragged figures are modeled yet, but if they match the figures that have already been released then they'll really be something to see.

Dennis

Adam D Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 8:06 p.m. PST

I'm not familiar with Peter Pig minis -- how do they compare size-wise with the 15mm miniatures of other manufacturers? The figures they have online so far look very sharp. link

Supercilius Maximus06 Oct 2009 1:47 a.m. PST

Adam – PP figures tend to be "true" 15mm, so a bit smaller than OG and current (3rd Generation) Minifigs, but close to the original Freikorps range (don't have any 2nd Generation casts, which are better) and earlier Minifigs.

Do you know about this?

link

stew46a06 Oct 2009 1:48 a.m. PST

WA is a game based upon the "Bloody Barons" (Peter Pig's Wars of the Roses game) skeleton. The
common parts are:-
The standard base size is 3x3 cm allowing latitude to figure position, good tactile size and constant
unit footprint when bases turn on the spot.
Use of six sided dice (D6) for all purposes.
Move increments of three inches allowing bigger moves so that the bold player cannot have his
plan intercepted and nullified by the purely re-active player.
Armies begin the game at a close distance so as to force players into keeping their initial
deployment.
The use of a pre-game system to create the scenario and make an attacker/defender situation.
Generous amounts of die rolling to help even out any wild results intrinsic to single die roll
outcomes.
Players are allowed to react to enemy actions, thus keeping them engaged in the game
Measurements are made in inches. The playing area is 5 feet wide by 3 feet deep.
A points system and an order of battle restriction list are used to allow players equal ability armies.
The pre battle "events" section creates a scenario of the attack /defence type.
The main aspect of WA is that of "action points" (AP). AP are awarded after a unit is motivated.
Movement, shooting and manoeuvre are all costed in terms of AP.

bruntonboy06 Oct 2009 1:48 a.m. PST

Figures may be smaller than the norm, will probably mix with Essex in height and Minifigs as well. Horse unlikely to mix due to smaller horses. OTOH unless you have figures already than the range should be complete enough by itself.

Graham

Personal logo Dropship Horizon Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2009 4:12 a.m. PST

I don't know how he stew46a can say it's the best unless he's a playtester, since little has been said about it on the RFCM group.

As the rules going to be available till Salute in 2010, and Stew is ia gamer in Weymouth next door to Mr Pig might be a pointer.

The common parts are:-

But what about the "right" period flavour you mentioned…can you define this? I currently use variously Loose Files, Compleat Brigadier and British Grenadier depending upon mood –

How does it stack up to these in period flavour/feel and what other "upcoming" AWI rules have you playtested to determine Washington's Army is the best?

Nice figs – especially the Brits in round hats.

Cheers
Mark

mashrewba06 Oct 2009 10:31 a.m. PST

Yes, good to see a range kicking off with British in campaign dress.

Vespasian2806 Oct 2009 11:53 a.m. PST

I have seen some of the new PP AWI and they go very well with my mostly Freikorps collection which also has a few Minifigs and Polly Oliver because they are all "true 15's".
Looking forward to getting a few more American units next year when the range comes out.

Will wait and see about the rules but they are unlikely to break my commitment to British Grenadier.

Adam D Inactive Member06 Oct 2009 4:36 p.m. PST

SM & Vespasian

Thanks for the info on the figure size. It sounds like they will fit in well with my collection. I have a huge number of unpainted minis, but I doubt I'll be able to resist picking up some of these.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.