Help support TMP

"Gaming Table construction ideas" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Tools of the Hobby Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

1,877 hits since 4 Oct 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

elcid109905 Oct 2009 7:05 a.m. PST

I am about to move to a larger house here in India and will have space for a permanent gaming table.

One of the advantages of being here is that good quality furniture can be custom made for very reasonable prices. So I am thinking about treating myself to a fancy new gaming table and am looking for inspiration and suggestions on…

Size – I'd like a flexible size good for 15mm and 28mm gaming. Large enough for decent sized games with big battalions but not too large that it'll end up as firewood when I move home. Does anyone have an Extendable table?

Tabletop – trying to decide between fixed tabletop (possibly reversible) for use with lay down terrain or an interchangable modular terrain tile system.

Style – Legs, fixed with shelving and under table storage, or folding legs for stowing and transporting. Slide out trays for books, notes etc

And if anyone has any pictures of your own table that you would like to share for inspiration that would also be very much appreciated.

Grizwald Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 7:19 a.m. PST

"Tabletop trying to decide between fixed tabletop (possibly reversible) for use with lay down terrain or an interchangable modular terrain tile system."

Try this:
link

Personal logo Wyatt the Odd Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Oct 2009 7:46 a.m. PST

There was some link a while back to a round table that expanded upon rotating it. After googling "expanding round table" I found this: link

There's obviously the "Sultan" gaming table, but you'd need to rent/buy a shipping container to get your stuff home (it might be worth it, actually)
geekchichq.com
I notice that they have a smaller version called "The Emissary" which might be easier to ship home.

Here's a less pretentious version:
ultimategamingtable.org

This one looks like it can be made modularly link

While you're at it, have them make me one.

Wyatt

show some respect for women Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 8:19 a.m. PST

Frankly the 6' x ?? you buy at costco that fold up are the best thing out there. Modular, easy to store, easy to transport, maximum flexibility.

I have entertained a pedestal type table from time to time. I have friends that went that route. Can't say they get used all that much as they are not functionally better than my 4 x 6 tables (which have the added advantage of allowing multiple simultaneous games.

mjc

BillChuck Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 8:37 a.m. PST

It is entirely dependent on the space you have available. You will want at least 2'6" between the table and the walls or any pther obstructions. More is better. 6' wide isthe largest practical; wider and people will have trouble reaching the center. Shorter people will have trouble even with a 6' table. Length will depend on the space available. You could get several smaller tables that can be rearranged for a variety of layouts.

As for a flat table vs. terrain boards, you could make a flat covered table and have a small lip around the edge to hold terrain boards if you want to use them.

Personal logo Striker Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2009 11:49 a.m. PST

I did make a 5x8 folding table that is neat but a really hard to try and unfold and set up myself; so much so that I just got 2 2x8 folding tables. The other one has an edge that goes around it that can hold wooden dice/mini/drink trays (they could slide), has folding legs, and folds up in the middle via a piano hinge. It's sturdy and nice but just hard to handle by oneself.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2009 1:58 p.m. PST

I'd go modular if at all possible – maybe even in smaller sizes that could be used for other things, and perhaps even stackable or with some way to adjust height. For example, a 2x2x2 could be an end table … 2 or three together a coffee table, etc. The the ones underneath to get the game up to suitable height cuuld be outfitted with shelves and/or drawers – stack them up into a bookshelve or wall unit.

Doug

TheDreadnought Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 3:02 p.m. PST

We ordered an Emissary from these folks at GenCon. Their display table was awesome. . . we can't wait to get it!

geekchichq.com

Lonkka1Actual06 Oct 2009 1:19 a.m. PST

This year (?) I remember seeing a discussion here at TMP where someone had built a table on top of (low) Ikea bookshelves. I wasn't able to locate the discussion though -sorry!

I though this was a VERY good idea as in addition to having pretty sturdy legs for the table you can also store rules, figures and whathaveyou in these. I imagine it would be possible to have less clutter on the gaming table with these as well.

I might be wrong about this but I seem to recall that the gentleman who had done such table had also installed (lockable) wheels on the undersides of the bookselves so he could move the table much easier.

Having just replaced our gaming club's old A-frame tablelegs with sturdy construction made from 2x2's I was somewhat peeved when I ran into this idea of using these low Ikea bookshelves as gaming table legs. It is so good an idea that I would've used it! Sigh, there's always the next time…

elcid109906 Oct 2009 10:00 a.m. PST

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll clearly have to give it a bit more thought. I like the idea of an solid-built semi-permanent 8x5 in a nice walnut finish, but a couple of less ostentatious 6x4 folding tables might be more versatile in the long run.

Either way, for simplicity I'll start with a simple flat textured tabletop and lay-down terrain, but allow the table top to be removable (possibly in sections) so that large terrain tiles could be an option.

In the meantime I think I found my dream table – now I just need to find the dream house to put it in…

link

BillChuck Inactive Member07 Oct 2009 3:11 a.m. PST

Lonkka, my table is built that way:
link

Bookcases, a 2x4 frame on top, and then two 4'x6' pieces of particle board on top of that.

normsmith Supporting Member of TMP07 Oct 2009 2:08 p.m. PST

Height is of major importance -

Baldwinbob Inactive Member08 Oct 2009 8:25 p.m. PST

5x9 ping pong table provides plenty of storage in boxes unneath. Cover with protective plastic mat. extra old broken down half ping pong table extends it to 5 x 13. Remove protective cover and add a net and it does double duty as a ping pong table for exercise and enjoyment. Comes in avariety of grades and costs. Can't be beat for the $. USD When covered by terrain cloth no one notices that it's not pretty oak.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.