Help support TMP

"Rescue Super Six One, 28mm Mogadishu scenario photo AAR" Topic

25 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Modern Gallery Message Board

4,607 hits since 24 Sep 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

jpipes Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 12:49 p.m. PST

Last night I ran a scenario based on the rescue of Super Six One during the Battle of Mogadishu in Somailia on October 3rd, 1993.

Here is the overview I gave to the 4 players.

The time is October 3rd, 1993. US forces have launched a raid to capture some of Mohammed Farah Aidid's top Habar Gidir clan advisors, and initially the raid went as planned. The initiative was lost when Blackhawk helicopter Super Six One was shot down over the streets of Mogadishu, forcing a perilous rescue mission to push through the streets to come to its aid. US forces must reach the crash site before Somali mobs descend on the victims. Once at the crash site US forces must secure all casualties and create a perimeter while awaiting pick up by armed convoy.

There were 4 US players; 2 Ranger detachments pushing through the streets of Mogadishu to reach the crash site, a Delta/pararescue team deployed at the crash site to provide a modicum of support to the pilots and crew, and a convoy to rescue everyone once the site has been secured.

The battle was a victory for the Rangers, they reached the crash site while taking only 4 casualties (none KIA though they were serious). The 4 men at the crash site (Delta and chopper crew) managed to hold off the mobs until the Rangers arrived, though just as they did a surge of Somali's nearly overran the crash site, finally ending in a spasm of violence when a technical speed directly up to the chopper in an attempt to take out everyone hunkered within. A Ranger nearby was nearly killed (lost 7 of 8 action points) taking out the technical and saving the crew, winning himself the Bronze Star with V for Valor in the process). All told I believe the US had a total of 8 casualties with no one KIA. Some of the casualties were very serious though.

Here are the photos from the battle.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

TheDreadnought Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:00 p.m. PST

Looks like a great game!

Personal logo Custer7thcav Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:14 p.m. PST

Jpipes,

great terrain. the buildings are outstanding!!!

templar72 Inactive Member24 Sep 2009 1:17 p.m. PST

Great looking game, what rules?

Ed G.

Daylami24 Sep 2009 1:22 p.m. PST

I am so Jealous. That's want I want my Blackhawk down game to look like after about 3 years of Prep work.

jpipes Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:25 p.m. PST

Thanks for the comments guys!! I used a rule set called Mog 93 with the house clearing rules from Ambush Alley.

It's taken a lot of effort to get this set up to this level and I have some more work I need to do, but the scenery around the crash site in particular is the level of detail and quality I've been aiming for. Those buildings are all built based on actual buildings in photos from Mogadishu, down to the trees and other fine points. I still need to work on the terrain mat itself to bring it more in line with the ground in Somalia, but I think the scenario turned out really well.

Captain Apathy Inactive Member24 Sep 2009 1:28 p.m. PST

Looks like a great table and a great game. Congrats. How much of the town is scratch built and how much did you purchase? You have some nice pieces I wouldn't mind tracking down for myself.

Rassilon Inactive Member24 Sep 2009 1:31 p.m. PST

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

mjkerner Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:31 p.m. PST

Jason, a most excellent looking game!

Your friend from Wisconsin,

Mark

P.S. Let me know if you're still interested in my Jacobite Rebellion figs.

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:53 p.m. PST

Wow! Great pics and really nice looking terrain!

Thanks,

John

jpipes Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 1:55 p.m. PST

"How much of the town is scratch built and how much did you purchase?"

I'd say at least 70% is scratch built. All the buildings around the crash site are custom designed and made. The store bought buildings consist of stuff from Miniature Building Authority and JR Miniatures. I've been phasing a lot of that stuff out in favor of custom designed terrain designed specifically from photos taken in Mogadishu. Nearly all the terrain available for purchase on the minis market is Middle Eastern and isn't right for Mogadishu. One of my favorite store bought pieces is rather nice though, the Mosque seen at the opposite side of the table from the crash site. It's from MBA.

If there is a piece you are interested in specifically let me know and I can tell you what it is.

Personal logo Panzerfaust Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 2:06 p.m. PST

Great terrain, looks like a fun game.

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 2:27 p.m. PST

When I saw the photos, before I read the comments, I thought to myself that it was the most like Mogadishu of any table I had seen.

Now I know why. You used real photos. It just looks fantastic.

I hope to do it in 20mm. I had resigned myself to scratch built buildings for the most part. A lot of work!

Tom

Captain Apathy Inactive Member24 Sep 2009 3:11 p.m. PST

jpipes – I particularly love the three buildings closest to the crash site. The shanty huts, and the two buildings directly across from the crash. The one building on the far right in the picture below is a little hard to make out.

picture

Fantastic work. I seem to recall you posted some early pics of these pieces when you first got started. I am glad everything is coming along. : )

I would love to know where you found your reference pictures as well. Thanks again for sharing.

Irish Marine Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 3:36 p.m. PST

Great looking game and freakin fantastic table. There is a building next to your left arm it is a three story building across from the Mosque and looks to have dice on the roof who makes that building?

Shriver Inactive Member24 Sep 2009 6:38 p.m. PST

a great mix of store bought and scratch built terrain. this looks like a whole lot of fun to play. is mog 93 still available?

jpipes Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2009 10:37 p.m. PST

Capt Apathy (heh) you mentioned "one building on the far right in the picture below is hard to make out" do you mean the one with the two fingers on top at the right bottom corner of the pic you reposted? If so I can find another pic of that building to post if you like. All four pieces around the blackhawk are all custom designs.

Irish Marine, that actually isn't my elbow, it's one of the players. :) The building at the rear of the table is also a custom building and it's based entirely on the Olympic Hotel. It wasn't being used in this scenario as THE Olympic Hotel (the hotel next to the target building of the original raid itself) but as a stand in for just one of many similiar structures in Mogadishu. I can find a better pic of that and post as well if you like.

Here is a photo of what the real deal looks like. Note I need to paint mine white to match 100%…

picture

Irish Marine Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2009 3:52 a.m. PST

I know know what Somalia looks like I was there at one point.

Personal logo vojvoda Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2009 4:27 a.m. PST

Jpipes,
Very nice. I especailly like the shanty town area to the upper left in the third image. If I had to make a critical comment I would recommend roughing up the buildings a little more. In 1993 the city was one big trash pile.

VR
James Mattes
Somalia 1992-1994

Irish Marine Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2009 5:40 a.m. PST

Yup and some dead bodies here and there and donkey carts with rubber car tires. Man that place sucked!!

axabrax Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2009 7:54 a.m. PST

Very nice--always wanted to do something like this myself. I take it this is all 28mm?

Redroom Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2009 2:45 p.m. PST

pretty cool

Janick Inactive Member27 Sep 2009 2:37 p.m. PST

Awesome game…thanks for sharing.

Brad :)

Clelland Inactive Member05 Oct 2009 1:31 a.m. PST

Super SWEET!@

Joep123 Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2009 6:59 p.m. PST

Great job;
Thanks for sharing.
We plan on doing some Somalia scenarios with AA soon.
I'll be sharing your photos with the rest of the crew.
Joe

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.