Help support TMP

"Caver1's DungeonCrawl, Edited! (Free DC Ruleset)" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the Playtest Message Board

Back to the Dungeoncrawls Message Board

841 hits since 2 Sep 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

SimonF Inactive Member02 Sep 2009 12:38 p.m. PST

Here is the link to the original topic for the legendary 53-page ruleset by the TMPer known as caver1:

TMP link

Well, I edited it! Same exact rules, half the page count, and organized in an intuitive manner. Some game mechanics were clarified and reworked not to change the way the game plays, but to make it easier to understand and to eliminate ambiguity. These shorter rules should be much easier to use.

The download includes both a PDF and an editable Microsoft Word document.

I emailed caver1 using the email address from the original rules but unfortunately I got no response. Hopefully he's still active on TMP!

Download: link
Direct link: link

Delthos02 Sep 2009 1:33 p.m. PST

According to his member profile his last visit here was in October of 2008, so my guess is that he's not active here anymore.

SimonF Inactive Member02 Sep 2009 2:13 p.m. PST

Well, I guess that doesn't matter, maybe somebody will be interested in the rules anyway. I just fixed them up because I thought 53 pages of solid text might be discouraging to any friends I wanted to play the game with. :P

Kropotkin303 Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2009 8:00 p.m. PST

They look interesting. Will definitely give them a go.Look like they will go well in a modular dungeon environment.

Thanks

Phil Dutre03 Sep 2009 2:29 a.m. PST

We played the rules once, and thought they were unplayable. Too much dice rolling, and the game moving at a very slow speed.

I admit we never tried them again, but if the first playtest doesn't create excitement, it's hard to convinve people to give it another try.

Arundel2 Inactive Member03 Sep 2009 7:16 p.m. PST

That's a shame. They certainly look good in reading them, but I know that doesn't always translate into a good game. Has anybody else played them? I'd be interested in other people's take…

magokiron03 Sep 2009 11:36 p.m. PST

The author has updated A LOT of the rules and now sells them in their own page as a PDF download:

link

He still has a free beta version there, AFAIK.

As for his attendance to TMP, I'm afraid I know as much as any of you.

Hope that helps.

SimonF Inactive Member04 Sep 2009 2:00 p.m. PST

Nope, that's a totally different game with the same name.

caver1 Inactive Member09 Sep 2009 11:44 a.m. PST

SimonF is correct, the link from magokron is not me.
I am not dead, all rumors to the contrary not counting, but i have been crazy busy in other endeavors.
I have not yet had the chance to check out SimonF's cleaned up version of the rules, but I will soon.
I have always acknowledged that the huge layout was sort of unwieldy, but I kind of felt that the copious verbiage was part of its charm.
One of the changes that I have made, but never gotten around to posting was changing all of the goodie charts, encounter charts, and critter info over to cards, so you could just pull a card and follow the directions instead of referring to all of the charts. I will send a copy of the card info to SimonF if he is willing in order to get his opinion of them.
have fun all,
Steven Daggs aka caver1 aka murpagato

caver1 Inactive Member09 Sep 2009 1:20 p.m. PST

SimonF – please email me at stevendaggs@yahoo.com as the caver@spymac addy died when spymac.com stopped providing email.
I have tried to download the edited rules, but for some reason it won't let me.
thanks, Steven Daggs

SimonF Inactive Member14 Sep 2009 1:30 p.m. PST

I'm emailing you now Steven!

---

I played a couple games of it and the game works well!

My edit could still be shorter and less technical. A lot of stuff in there is self-evident enough that it doesn't need explaining. Like initiative for declaring actions – you don't often care what the other person is doing with their actions, so specifying the order for the players to declare actions is probably not necessary (though I think that's something that I added, that wasn't there originally).

It needs a "quick reference" sheet with procedures for stuff like opening doors, rolling treasure, etc. so you don't have to look through the rules for the stuff you check all the time (at least when you're new to the game).

Hopefully I'll get around to doing these edits soon, though I've just started back at school and it looks like it's going to be busy.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.