Help support TMP

"Help playtest Elizabethan small actions rules set?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Playtest Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Back to the Pirates Message Board

940 hits since 27 Jul 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP27 Jul 2009 11:29 p.m. PST

Hi all,

I have been slowly developing a rules system for 15mm Elizabethan/Jacobean engagements called "Irregular Wars".

I am just looking for any expressions of interest from those who may be interested in helping to playtest. The developers have had a few games to date between New World Spanish and 'Gentlemen' Adventurers which seem to work quite well.

The rule's official blurb is below:

Irregular Wars is intended to provide a fun and easy, fast-play, set of rules for the smaller engagements of the Elizabethan and Jacobean eras in Ireland, the New World and the East Indies. In these smaller engagements the strategic emphasis lay in the thoughtful use of the landscape to achieve victory. Furthermore, the enthusiasm of volunteer or militia soldiers was far more important to the outcome of such small encounters than sheer numbers alone. The army lists (of which expansions are welcome) are tailored around volunteer or militia forces and the unpredictability of the size of the resulting armies (known as battles) is reflected in the variable nature of battle recruitment. For larger engagements, two or three battles may be fielded together under multiple lords, one of which must be designated commander-in-chief. For each extra lord per side, the battlefield should be widened by 1'.

Anyone interested in having a look at the rules (I'd love feedback!), drop me a line at irregularwars@gmail.com

Personal logo Dropship Horizon Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2009 5:46 a.m. PST

Sounds fun. I've signed up 'Harry' as I have a particular interest in the skirmishes and small battles that took place in North East Scotland during this period.

Cheers
Mark

LostPict Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2009 6:58 a.m. PST

Fascinating. I was just at St. Mary's City in Maryland contemplating actions in the New World. I wondered what rules would be appropos. I will send you a line.

Lost Pict

Personal logo cloudcaptain Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2009 9:04 a.m. PST

Smaller actions would be refreshing.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2009 12:03 p.m. PST

I am interested in seeing these. I have a large number of Elizabethian sea dogs. Would these work for pirate encounters, or Euros meeting native peoples in Africa or South America?

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2009 3:12 p.m. PST

Thank's for the initial interest gentlemen! The rules have been emailed out and I await any feedback…<gulp>

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2009 10:57 p.m. PST

Ok all,

Anyone interested in getting their thieving/bucanneering hands on the rules, you can now download them as a pdf direct from the net at link

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2009 11:29 p.m. PST

If anyone among you fine Gents have had a chance to look over the Irregular Wars rules set link , we'd love to get some feedback. Further play-testing here has revealed a couple of ambiguous areas and strange unit behaviors but it would be good to hear back from a wider community before we fiddle with anything.

Cheers,

mashrewba15 Aug 2009 8:43 a.m. PST

How funny -I've just been counting out my as yet unpainted old Foundry Elizabethans, which I bought with a mind to do exactly what these rules are aiming at -fantastic!!!!

Sloth1963 Supporting Member of TMP17 Aug 2009 2:19 p.m. PST

Just got our first game in yesterday. We didn't come across anything too odd but we had fairly limited troop types. wanted to keep it fairly simple for the first go. The game played quite quickly and "flowed" well. We'll be giving them another go next week.

Paul

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP17 Aug 2009 4:31 p.m. PST

Good stuff Sloth, what forces were you using?

I am booked in for a couple more games tomorrow, including the second battle of San Juan (1598), Gentlemen Adventurers vs New World Spanish…I might write it up as a battle report if I get the time.

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP21 Aug 2009 1:32 a.m. PST

Two quick battle reports here: TMP link

Knockman21 Aug 2009 3:00 a.m. PST

HarryH,

Many thanks for these – I have a few friends round for the weekend and plan to get a lot of gaming in, so we may well get stuck into these, as I have a lot of Vendel Reivers. Admittedly, their not 15s, and are based singly, but I'd still be happy to give it a go.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.